april 03 08
I found a couple of new frequencies for the Thunderbirds

143.7 am
150.15 am (victor 2)

they were also using

385.45 am
235.25 am

N1BHH

Victor 2 has also been reported as 148.85 (AM) and Victor 1 has been reported as 139.8 (AM) and it is believed that Victor 2 may actually be 2 transmitters on different frequencies. Something to look into when they come to an air show near you. The Thunderbirds have been configured to transmit on 2 frequencies simultaneously in the past. I heard them on 2 VHF at the same time, it wouldn't be wrong to look for 2 UHF at the same time either.

Navairboss

wtp said:
april 03 08
I found a couple of new frequencies for the Thunderbirds

Location, location, location WTP. Where and when did you hear this????

Chief

wtp

sorry about that chief, they are at punta gorda fl. i live about 4 miles from the field
they were on 143.7 and wanted a quieter vic 2 then the other radio poped up with 150.15
i thought it was easy to contact folks at mt and pc and give this to every one but it isn't
too easy.i will listen all i can today to see what pops up. could vic 2 be changeable
as needed?

Navairboss

wtp said:
sorry about that chief, they are at punta gorda fl. i live about 4 miles from the field
they were on 143.7 and wanted a quieter vic 2 then the other radio poped up with 150.15
i thought it was easy to contact folks at mt and pc and give this to every one but it isn't
too easy.i will listen all i can today to see what pops up. could vic 2 be changeable
as needed?

Much better. ;-)))

385.45 am
235.25 am

The 235.250 is a valid TB freq, but 385.450 is definitely not. It is an ATC assignment so it wouldn't make the official list. ;-))

they were also using

143.7 am
150.15 am (victor 2)

Well both of these are valid aero assignments in the newly reorganized 138-150 VHF spectrum. But were they using these as part of there demo practice or just cht-chit en route Punta Gorda? That would explain why they are using something that they normally wouldn't. Since the 138-150 MHZ band has been completely reorganized certain freq appear to be set aside for aero and others for LMR, but not both as we use to have. This would indicate that this band has moved from an agency assignment protocol to a usage assignment protocol.

I am still analyzing what is happening in this band, but based on the recent reports this is what I have uncovered.

143.7 and 150.150 are both aero assignments and both appear to be used by all DoD agencies for A-A ops. So it would not be odd to see the TBs using these two new assignments. But having said that, they are NOT TBird nationwide assignments like 139.800 is. That is in fact, a nationwide TBird assignment.

Appreciate the followup WPT. Always remember that without a location, nothing can be looked at from an analytical eye to determine what is actually going on.

Chief

JINXR

I don't think the Thunderbirds like people having their frequencies.

After unsuccessfully trying to get a ride with them (long shot chance, but I had to try ;p), I asked if they could provide me a list with the frequencies they use so that I could at least listen. Here's the response I got....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sir -

Unfortunately, I can't help you with that either. Since all maneuvers
are preceded by radio communication broadcasting these radio calls or
making the frequencies of their radios publicly available could
interfere with pilot communication, thereby jeopardizing safety of
flight.

v/r
TSgt xxxxxxx

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So thank goodness for RadioReference!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just look at Larry Van Horn's article and his milcom blog where 2 new freqs were posted; that will give you what you need.

It's linked from here...(anything in blue)

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Thunderbirds_2008

and I would read post 5 of this thread, where a couple of related freqs (not necessarily TBirds, but they could be used again...) were identified

73 Mike

Last edited:

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Navairboss said:
143.7 and 150.150 are both aero assignments and both appear to be used by all DoD agencies for A-A ops. So it would not be odd to see the TBs using these two new assignments.
I can confirm that the Thunderbirds were using 143.700 yesterday for the diamond at Sun 'n Fun 2008 - Lakeland, FL.

A little more puuuuuulllllllllllll....

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad the Tbirds are jumping and skipping around with their frequencies this year. It adds a little more excitement and challenge. And when you catch them, a since of accomplishment. Will see how good the signal stalker, sweeper and close call features perform. Keep up the good work everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.