Thunderbirds practicing for Daytona 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadcall

The Thunderbirds are currently practicing for the Daytona 500. They have passed over my house several times. They are flying from the Southeast moving to the Northwest towards the Speedway. The only frequency I have found so far is 141.075 (AM mode)

shadcall

Check wiki and other sources for a complete listing of known Thunderbirds frequencies :)

I had two scanners going seraching the MILAIR freqs and that is the only one that has been active so far. There may be others that will be active in the next couple of days. At the Daytona 500 they only do a fly over and do not perform any arial tricks. That may explain why they are only on one frequency.

KE5TLF

Nice. Don't forget the Daytona Beach International Airport freqs.
Air Force Thunderbirds rehearsing today for Daytona 500 - Racing
Watching the Nationwide quals now to see if they got any shots of them. Seems that both were going on at the same time. Somebody should consider starting a wiki article for this event.

EDIT: Some footage of the the Thunderbirds in action at ~58 minutes into the Nationwide qualifying.
EDIT 2: C-17 (06-6157) landing at ~1:04 in. Bestwick calls it a C-5 LOL

Last edited:

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/0311airshowspecial.pdf

2012 edition will be out next month.

shadcall

Nice. Don't forget the Daytona Beach International Airport freqs.
Air Force Thunderbirds rehearsing today for Daytona 500 - Racing
Watching the Nationwide quals now to see if they got any shots of them. Seems that both were going on at the same time. Somebody should consider starting a wiki article for this event.

EDIT: Some footage of the the Thunderbirds in action at ~58 minutes into the Nationwide qualifying.
EDIT 2: C-17 (06-6157) landing at ~1:04 in. Bestwick calls it a C-5 LOL

I see the article was dated February 18th. I was out of town so missed their practice runs. Given the direction they flew in from, I thought maybe they flew up from Patrick AFB. The writer of the article makes note that they were not the vintage Ford cars. I guess he isn't aware that the current Thunderbird autos are retro looking back to the mid 1950s style. I also guess he is too young to know about the Thunderbirds puppets that used to be on TV. "Thunderbirds are go!"

KE5TLF

OMG DUH! Didn't even notice that was from last year! LOL Well as it so happens it apparently was exactly the same schedule this year, except for being on the 24th. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.