tilt mast for hf antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

wo4r

Has anyone used the tilt mast described here Tilt-Over Mast - The RadioReference Wiki
with a hf antenna and rotor. I was thinking of building this mast and putting a hd spiderbeam with top mount rotor. This antenna weighs 25 lbs and has 3.8 sq ft wind area. The rotor would be a cheap tv rotor.

I was concerned the rotation of this antenna might cause problems. I was planning to guy the mast in 4 directions and 2 heights. I was also thinking of putting some more through bolts in the mast to help secure it.

Just wondering if there was someone else who cause lead me around problems?

Thanks in advance 73

WO4R Jeff

LtDoc

I don't have one (yet) but I have seen them used. They do work if done properly and if you've got the 'room' for them. I've also seen them where the 'mast' part is hinged at the top instead of the bottom. They are a little more 'heavy duty' than the one shown, but they used 'heavy duty' pipe instead of just tubing, you know? The 'neatest' one I ever saw used a small barrel attached to the bottom of that top hinged mast that could be filled/emptied of water. Used a garden hose to raise/lower the thing, no winch! I've wanted one like that ever since! Still don't have one, but that's cuz I'm too cheap to get the 'pipe'. Oh well...
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.