Tilt Over Mast construction question

Status
Not open for further replies.

delta_p

I have noticed some used rings welded to upper mast and other have done weld beads used to fill the gap between the 1.5" mast pipe being inserted into the 2" mast pipe. Not being a welder or a machinist, and not having a convienient method of carrying around an 18 ft pipe, I am wondering if a ring of some JB Weld in two spots on the pipe would suffice for filling that gap. I have never worked with the stuff and do not know if it can be filed/ ground on to get it to fit in fairly snug. What other methods could I use to do this? Thanks for you suggestions.

I am taking the 10ft long base section to a welder in a pick up truck but don't feel comfortable with an 18 ft pole back there.

PP

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
I have noticed some used rings welded to upper mast and other have done weld beads used to fill the gap between the 1.5" mast pipe being inserted into the 2" mast pipe. Not being a welder or a machinist, and not having a convienient method of carrying around an 18 ft pipe, I am wondering if a ring of some JB Weld in two spots on the pipe would suffice for filling that gap. I have never worked with the stuff and do not know if it can be filed/ ground on to get it to fit in fairly snug. What other methods could I use to do this? Thanks for you suggestions.

I am taking the 10ft long base section to a welder in a pick up truck but don't feel comfortable with an 18 ft pole back there.

PP

Hi PP,
I am surprised no one has answered you on this. Anyways, yes you can use some JB weld.
Once you bolt the mast in place, the JB weld(welded rings etc) is only there for the top mast not to move around in the bottom mast.

Hope this helps you and good luck in the project.
Ron

delta_p

Tons,
Thanks for the reply. I did play with the stuff on a test piece. I put two o-rings side by side near the thickness of the gap and gooped the JB between. Made a nice little ring and I did see where the stuff could be ground, shaped, etc. I'll probably go for two or three rings on the final piece before cross drilling the bolts.

Thanks again,

PP

StephenVa

Interested in building one of these and hoping to get some more input. Actually I have a ton of questions but I've only been able to get Hank at WV7U.com to answer. I'd like as much input as possible before putting one together. Did you get around to building one?

Status
Not open for further replies.