Time for a new ham handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don_Burke

I am looking for a new handheld I can carry in my pocket when I am on the motorcycle.

The Yaesu VX-3R looks pretty good as something I can also use as a conventional scanner, although I am very open minded about the brand and model.

Someone around here must have experience with this or a similar application.

jhooten

Been using a VX2 since they came out. Good little radio and I'm sure the VX3 will be even better. Make sure to buy the programming kit. Trying to fill all those memories with the dial is large PITA.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Yaesu Ft-60

Howdy!
Yaesu Ft-60. Works great on Ham bands and the Public Safety bands. Even Aircraft is pretty good. Not that expensive either. Somewhere around $185 or so. You can get the FT-60 Commander software to program it for free. You cant really go wrong with that radio.

Manny

n2mdk

The Ft-60 is nice I have one but it's not the most pocket friendly size wise. It's footprint is about the same as the BR330. If that's not too big then I would say go for it.

fineshot1

I kinda favor the Icom IC-91A or the AD if your into the DStar. Full solid metal casing on this one unlike the Yaesu/Kenwood plastic case bubble pack style around these days and the radio is easy to program even without the software. Performance is just as good or better as any of the modern ht's although I would probably go for better duck than the original. There is also the newer 92AD if interested.

G0DPC

Have owned the VX-2 for several years - a great little handie. Although it lacks some features of its big brothers such as a 'proper' keyboard and lower power output and is in a plastic case - it's sheer portability (easily fits in top shirt pocket), wideband receive and 2m/70cms and tons of memories outweighs it's downfalls.

Don't own a VX-3 but if it's anything like the VX-2 you'll be onto a winner!

monitorman

If you do get the VX-3 get a lanyard for around your neck that you can attach to the belt clip in case you accidently drop it it wont go far or get smashed.

n5tda

Radio

I just bought the Yaesu FT60r. Been playing with it for the last couple days. For the price,$189,it seems to be a fine little radio. Daul-Band, receives from 120 to 900 mhz,1000 memory channels. Might want to check it out before you make up your mind.

N8IAA

monitorman said:
If you do get the VX-3 get a lanyard for around your neck that you can attach to the belt clip in case you accidently drop it it wont go far or get smashed.
There is no belt clip for the VX-3R. The main difference it has between the 1 and 2.
Larry

Don_Burke

Do any of these radios have reasonable performance in the AM and FM broadcast bands?

It looks like the FT-60r does not, although that is not a deal breaker.

I work in broadcasting and it would be handy to be able to listen in on the stations in the group.

I suspect I would be better off with a dedicated broadcast receiver, but it sure would be nice to carry one radio.

kc4jgc

Ditto on Kenwood

It even does ok on recieving hf..... with an external antenna even better!
Plus unlike the Yaesu Jason wrote about, it transmits 5 watts on 220 rather than 300 mw.

fireant

Take a look at the VX-6R its a good radio. Plus you will not have the problem of the numbers on the keys rubbing off like you do on the FT-60.

fireant

Status
Not open for further replies.