Time for a new scanner.. Uniden BCD436HP vs Whistler TRX-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD761

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,
I'm looking for a new handheld scanner. My current one is almost 15 years old and is falling apart.
I'm currently debating between the Whistler TRX-1 and the Uniden BCD436HP.. and I'm not sure which one would be best for Southern California (specifically Los Angeles, Kern, San Bernardino, Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties).

Since I'm going to be paying $400+ for this new scanner, I want to make sure it'll last and will be "future-proof" and be able to survive any upcoming changes to the radio systems out here (specifically this upcoming LA-RICS stuff).

I mostly monitor CHP, LASD, and LACOFD, but I want to be able to access as many law enforcement and fire department agencies in Southern California as possible. I don't have a scanner right now that'll support digital trucked systems to monitor a lot of agencies out here and I'm really looking forward to changing that.

So, here's a couple questions for you guys:

- Which one would be the better scanner for the Southern California area for now and 5 years down the road that will be able to monitor the most law enforcement & fire departments in the Los Angeles, Kern, San Bernardino, Orange, Riverside, Ventura, and Santa Barbara counties?
- Does anyone have any experience with either one of these radios in the Southern California area?

- I saw a post about LASD going to end-to-End encryption in the future... they're my area's law enforcement agency. Will this mean that no scanner can listen to them when this starts? (If so, then it's not even worth buying a new scanner..)

- I'm seeing the BCD436HP doesn't support NXDN at this time (and it's unknown if there will be an update to support this). I'm also seeing it's an additional charge for "DMR" and "ProVoice" support on the BCD436HP. Now, I don't know anything at all about NXDN, DMR, or ProVoice systems. Honestly, never heard about them until I started looking at a new scanner. Are there any agencies in LA/Orange/San Bernardino/Riverside/Ventura/Santa Barbara/Kern counties using any of this?

Last edited:

Markb

Premium Subscriber
If you ask about Uniden or Whistler, it's kinda like the debate between Ford or Chevy. You'll get lots of differing opinions. Both are relatively future proof.
I have a 436 and am happy with it. I have never been a Whistler/GRE fan personally. Both are equally capable with NXDN being the only major difference right now. DMR is mainly used for business and schools in SoCal, no public safety-same with NXDN. Provoice is an old system type that isn't used around here to my knowledge and is fading away into obsolescence.

With all that being said, encryption is being used widely with more agencies using it in the future. This means it is not monitorable with a scanner
Most FD's will not encrypt, with OC being a possible exception, but many LE agencies are or will be within the next 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GrandpaFrank

In terms of ease of use and durability, Whistler TRX-1 is the way to go. The BCD436 is fancy with a great looking screen thats easier on the eyes, but be very careful you don't drop it. My 436 fell from my hand 3 feet off the ground to the cement and killed the lcd. My TRX-1 came with a hard case, fell off of a 6 foot wall into the neighbors' yard while I was reaching for my beer and never skipped a beat. I wouldn't worry too much about NXDN or DMR around here, unless you get really bored. But this is L.A., theres 50 other calls a minute to listen to. As far as encryption, there's nothing we can do, unless you like playing with fire.

Eng74

I have both. Just like it has always been, one works a little better on some systems than the other. For conventional they are equal. For the two DMR systems (California City PD and Disneyland) I do listen to the TRX-1 seems to work better.

Engine104

Member since 2005
I tend to agree with the "Ford vs Chevy" example. Some guys prefer Uniden and some GRE/Whistler. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I was the OP on a similar thread here a few weeks ago. There's some good info there from some of the guys on here about new local systems. Here's the URL https://forums.radioreference.com/g...ssion/355424-timetable-new-local-systems.html.

My personal feelings, based on what I've read on here is that LEs will be going encrypted in the next 4-5 years or so. FDs will be hit and miss, with the majority staying in the clear. Just my opinion, though.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Both have their strong points indeed. I have a 668 and a TRX 2. At work I have a 536HP.

I am liking the Whistler brand more and more simply because the EZ Scan software is much easier to use vs the Uniden Sentinel.

Don't get me wrong, The Uniden is a fine scanner too, but it is far too complicated to program. It just doesn't need to be that difficult.

I have to suggest the Whistler. But if you want an idea, watch several YouTube videos on each one to see what you think.

Good luck.

allend

Premium Subscriber
If I was you I would buy both so you are not dis-appointed when you did not get the feature you wanted. At least if you have both you will have everything that the world has to offer you at this time in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.