Time for a new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my Uniden Bearcat BC 100XLT for ? years. I have had more modifications then I can remember. I am looking for a new handheld. Anyone tell me a good entry level scanner. Also were to look to learn more about scanning. Thanks

mciupa

Database Admin
I have had my Uniden Bearcat BC 100XLT for ? years. I have had more modifications then I can remember. I am looking for a new handheld. Anyone tell me a good entry level scanner. Also were to look to learn more about scanning. Thanks

Hi northernsofspa , welcome to RadioReference. :)

There is no better place than RadioReference to learn all about scanning.

You can read the WIKI articles on this site and ask all the questions you want here in the Eastern Canada forum. Ask away!

If you want to hear OPP, you will have to go digital, and the digital scanners are not entry level.
But ,there are members here that will sell and program them for you.

martyjess

I started with..

Hello there,

when I started scanning, I started with a BC72XLT, Its not digital, but I get police, EMS, fire, planes, and more.

It has close call so you can find strong signals near you. And they're not so expensive. The bc72xlt is only 512 mhz.

Another one I have is the BC760XLT, also not digital and older, but I find this one quite fun.

I know when people around me uses there home phone, interesting sometimes!!

If your town is like mine, a analog scanner is fun to listen to, mine never stops!!

But if you really want to get into it, I suggest you get yourself a digital scanner.

warrior420

396xt, willl be the first and last scanner you buy. down the road everything will be digital encrypted so get on the wagon while you can still hear the good stuff.

Infinitig37x

yea 396xt or gre 500 im one of the dudes whos had both and prefer the gre a bit more it seems to pull in a bit better then the 396

Hello there,

when I started scanning, I started with a BC72XLT, Its not digital, but I get police, EMS, fire, planes, and more.

It has close call so you can find strong signals near you. And they're not so expensive. The bc72xlt is only 512 mhz.

Another one I have is the BC760XLT, also not digital and older, but I find this one quite fun.

I know when people around me uses there home phone, interesting sometimes!!

If your town is like mine, a analog scanner is fun to listen to, mine never stops!!

But if you really want to get into it, I suggest you get yourself a digital scanner.
Thanks for the great info.

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
I would go with a GRE Digital Scanner (PRO-2096, or that other new one) It is easier to use for someone stepping up from the older scanners.

I still think the best mobile scanners ever invented are the GPS driven Bearcats BCD-996T, etc.

In the Shack I have all GRES, mobile I have all unidens.

mciupa

Database Admin
If you want to listen to OPP and Barrie , then choose digital.

SuperTex

I am just trying to figure out weather to go digital or analog. Thanks for the reply.

You are going to miss out on a ton if you don't go Digi... Save your nickels and buy a good one if you only have one. I use old 780's to listen to Ambulance and local fire, but the digitals are required for our area for complete coverage ie Barrie Police, Barrie Fire and OPP... You can get South Simcoe Police and Innisfil Fire with any analog though. I can help you out if you like, I just moved recently from South Barrie to Wasaga, we are in Barrie all the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.