Time For A New Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkillins

I don't know why with so little left to listen to, I'm out on the hunt for a new scanner that might help me find some alternatives to listen to.

What better place to come and ask this question ... what would one recommend for an investment that will monitor:

• Motorola Type II Smartzone
  • P25 Phase1 and Phase2 TDMA
  • DMR Conventional, Capacity Plus, Connect Plus, Tier III
  • NXDN (NexEdge)
  • LTR
  • Conventional of course

Does such a beast exist?

rkillins

Thanks ka3aaa!
Hoping some folk have some recommendations based on their experiences of their use of some of these newer scanners.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
sds scanners cost around 700.00 are overpriced for what they are, my money is on the 996p2 at half the cost and will work just fine depending on what you want to listen to. everyone has an opinion and that's what they believe in and that's fine, but i found thjat research works and lets me make an informed decision for myself. the sds scanners have their share of problems but the 996p2 has been rock solid since it came out. What ever you decide to do get yourself a good programming software package and learn how to program the scanner yourself and learn how to work the scanner at the same time, you will be ahead of the game that way.

this my opinion for what ever it matters and this what i have learned over the years.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
My .02.
Not to dismiss what previous posters have said, but, the OP listed P25 Phase 1 and 2 systems.
From over 22 years living in Florida, Simulcast is more common than not.
Instead of getting the 996P2, and trying his hand and placing the radio and antenna combination that could possibly mitigate simulcast distortion, I'd think he be better off getting an SDS right off the bat, instead of finding out later after much frustration, that the 996P2 can't handle simulcast reception.

If the 996P2 doesn't work for his situation, then he would be forced to sell the radio, at a loss and maybe get frustrated at the hobby and just forget it.

If he gets the SDS, and doesn't like it, he can sell it and get himself a 996P2 if he fancies it.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
It sure would be nice if Uniden would produce a version of the SDS series with same technology but a lesser model that people could afford like about $450 somewhat like they did for the"P2" series

pb_lonny

It sure would be nice if Uniden would produce a version of the SDS series with same technology but a lesser model that people could afford like about $450 somewhat like they did for the"P2" series

I wonder what features you would like them to remove to bring the price down?

twotoejoe

sds scanners cost around 700.00 are overpriced for what they are, my money is on the 996p2 at half the cost and will work just fine depending on what you want to listen to. everyone has an opinion and that's what they believe in and that's fine, but i found thjat research works and lets me make an informed decision for myself. the sds scanners have their share of problems but the 996p2 has been rock solid since it came out. What ever you decide to do get yourself a good programming software package and learn how to program the scanner yourself and learn how to work the scanner at the same time, you will be ahead of the game that way.

this my opinion for what ever it matters and this what i have learned over the years.

Don't think the 996 will handle DMR. Best bet is a 436, 536 or SDS100 or 200

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Consider it preventive maintenance and get the best radio for today's technology - the SDS100/200. All modes all the time. Because you never know what's down the road and will you be able to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.