Time for some new blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've been asked to make a formal announcement of my resignation, so here goes...

But before I do, let me say thanks to everyone that has helped out in moving and coding, particularly recently in the collaboration area, and to those that have stepped up and have added LOTS of stuff to the wiki. In addition, I appreciate the kind words a few of you have sent, either via private mail or here. Nice to be appreciated.

However, the wiki has grown so much now that, for it to grow in any kind of new direction, it needs a new director at the helm. New blood means new ideas, and new ideas turn into new direction. The wiki has grown so large, that we really have several wikis all in one. This is one issue, among many, that will need a great deal of attention.

So I'm resigning the lead position, but don't think you're getting rid of me that easily. I believe it was Hemingway who once said that he was a 'gadfly on the wall' during that great writer's tenure as a newspaperman. So it will be with me. I will remain a mod on the HF forum, and as an advisor to whomever follows in my shoes. That person and I will be discussing numerous issues and cleanup items (and make no mistake, something this large will require some cleanup of old links, redesign to make things easier to find, and so on....) that I have documented. That person will also be responsible for sweeping orphans and so forth into their proper places on a regular basis, so articles that you write can be found.

Don't be afraid that one person is going to handle it all! I have made the suggestion to Lindsay that a team be constructed, one not unlike the DBA team, where an individual would be in charge of one topic or section. There would be one person at the top of the heap acting as a director. The exact structure will need to be worked out by my successor.

A team requires people - that's where you come in. Be sure to contact Lindsay and let him know what area(s) you wish to handle. 95% of the activity in the wiki has been in the collaboration gateway (where we have our geographic related info), and that is, by far, the largest area in the wiki. Therefore, that's the area that probably should be tackled first.

It's been a helluva ride, but it's time for someone else to take the reins. 73 Mike

bezking

Mike, let me take this opportunity to thank you for all of your hard work - you really made the wiki into the best user-edited scanning resource on the web.

As the second wiki admin I have declined the lead position - so I will be of assistance to whoever is picked to replace Mike.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Mike, just wanted to say thanks for your many years of hard work and dedication to the hobby. Look forward to seeing more of you in the HF Forum.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Job well done, Mike. You've set the ship sailing. Now it's time for others to keep it steered based on your directions.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Mike, many thanks for all your efforts and hard work. The wiki is what it is today because of your leadership and direction. Thank you!

I echo Lindsay's statement above: RR.com would not be where it is without your effort and time.
Thanks for all you have done!
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

ecps92

Mike, thanks for teaching many of us, so much about the WIKI and helping with the sharing of the info that many of us have come to rely on and enjoy....

I've been asked to make a formal announcement of my resignation, so here goes...

But before I do, let me say thanks to everyone that has helped out in moving and coding, particularly recently in the collaboration area, and to those that have stepped up and have added LOTS of stuff to the wiki. In addition, I appreciate the kind words a few of you have sent, either via private mail or here. Nice to be appreciated.

However, the wiki has grown so much now that, for it to grow in any kind of new direction, it needs a new director at the helm. New blood means new ideas, and new ideas turn into new direction. The wiki has grown so large, that we really have several wikis all in one. This is one issue, among many, that will need a great deal of attention.

So I'm resigning the lead position, but don't think you're getting rid of me that easily. I believe it was Hemingway who once said that he was a 'gadfly on the wall' during that great writer's tenure as a newspaperman. So it will be with me. I will remain a mod on the HF forum, and as an advisor to whomever follows in my shoes. That person and I will be discussing numerous issues and cleanup items (and make no mistake, something this large will require some cleanup of old links, redesign to make things easier to find, and so on....) that I have documented. That person will also be responsible for sweeping orphans and so forth into their proper places on a regular basis, so articles that you write can be found.

Don't be afraid that one person is going to handle it all! I have made the suggestion to Lindsay that a team be constructed, one not unlike the DBA team, where an individual would be in charge of one topic or section. There would be one person at the top of the heap acting as a director. The exact structure will need to be worked out by my successor.

A team requires people - that's where you come in. Be sure to contact Lindsay and let him know what area(s) you wish to handle. 95% of the activity in the wiki has been in the collaboration gateway (where we have our geographic related info), and that is, by far, the largest area in the wiki. Therefore, that's the area that probably should be tackled first.

It's been a helluva ride, but it's time for someone else to take the reins. 73 Mike

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Its been great working with Mike, I did not know anything when starting out and Mike has guided me through (seeing code in my sleep was his fault!:D)

I want to say thanks to Mike for all that he has done to the RR wiki and has done a tremendous job and enjoyed working with him:cool:

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Mike, it was a pleasure collaborating with you when we were first getting some of the milcom pages off the ground and organized. You had no shortage of creative ideas and that's when I realized a single PM could actually be pages in length. :D

Kudos to a job well done.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Mike, it was a pleasure collaborating with you when we were first getting some of the milcom pages off the ground and organized. You had no shortage of creative ideas and that's when I realized a single PM could actually be pages in length. :D

Kudos to a job well done.

Seems like forever ago, doesn't it? Hard to believe it's been this long. Thanks Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Let me stress something here - no one should be expected to be able to admin over 4500 articles right off the bat, particularly if they're new to the environment. The concept of a team is designed to relieve the stress of having 1 person do all the work - and at the same time, get more work done within the team than 1 person could realistically do. And there is a LOT to be done yet. I have put together a Word document that outlines this quite well.
That person who becomes the team lead and I will discuss this document at length and see how these tasks can be administered effectively. This will be part of the hand-off process that will, eventually, need to take place.

For example, the Live Audio wiki is pretty much self contained - it really doesn't link to many other articles in the overall environment and is relatively small in size (number of articles). The articles that have to do with topics below 30 mhz is larger, and has a few links here and there, but is nowhere near as big as, say the scanning and scanners topic.
That person or persons will have the responsibility of maintaining their topic, and can modify it to suit their preferences. Of course there will be some times when a team member will be called on to help another one; this is good for cross training across topics.

Even if you want to handle just one region or state, that's fine. Even one of the smaller topics will do. Remember it's a team effort - every little bit helps. 73 Mike

mciupa

Database Admin
Just reading this thread and wondering if the WIKI team is still in the embryonic stage as there has been no updates since Feb.2nd.
Curious to know who the new lead is. :D

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Just reading this thread and wondering if the WIKI team is still in the embryonic stage as there has been no updates since Feb.2nd.
Curious to know who the new lead is. :D

I believe Lindsay is going through the process of picking the new position as we speak :cool:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That is the last I have heard as well. I hope he gets a team together soon - there's a lot to be done.

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.