Time for upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHearThings

I have a Pro-82 that I bought a few years ago when I still lived in New York. I never had any trouble with it in NY, but now I live in Homosassa, Florida and now I can't pick anything up. I've added the frequencies for my area and occasionally pick up a few words, but I think I'm having a lot of trouble because things are much further away now.

Is there a better antenna that I can purchase? Should I buy a new system? If so, what can you recommend for under $200?

SCPD

QRT
I think i have the correct info but i might be wrong. Your in citrus county so your freq info in here.

Citrus County, Florida (FL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

From what i can tell your not digital in your area (i could be wrong) You should be fine with the following radios.

Radio Shack
Pro-160
Pro-163
Pro--2055

Gre
Psr400
psr410

Uniden
Bct15x
bct15

All of the above are under 200 and desktop models. good luck

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Do you know if I can repost this? I don't want to break any rules here.
I've moved it to Florida for you.

Any time you want to get a Moderator's attention regarding a post click the
report.gif
at the upper right of the post.

IHearThings

I've moved it to Florida for you.

Any time you want to get a Moderator's attention regarding a post click the
report.gif
at the upper right of the post.

Thanks for moving it for me :).

I think i have the correct info but i might be wrong. Your in citrus county so your freq info in here.

Citrus County, Florida (FL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

From what i can tell your not digital in your area (i could be wrong) You should be fine with the following radios.

Radio Shack
Pro-160
Pro-163
Pro--2055

Gre
Psr400
psr410

Uniden
Bct15x
bct15

All of the above are under 200 and desktop models. good luck
Thanks for the list. I'm not really sure how to compare them though. I'd definitely consider myself a newb. I only know how to add frequencies and scan them with my current scanner. I don't understand any of the other features. Is a desktop model what I should be looking for?

webley445

If you are just looking to leave the scanner on a desk or table then get a desktop unit. Get a portable if you would like to take into to different rooms around the house or outside.

You need to do a little reading up about how the radio systems work now, is a little more involved than just listening to a freq. Hence you need a scanner that will decipher the system to allow you to hear all the traffic going through it.

IHearThings

If you are just looking to leave the scanner on a desk or table then get a desktop unit. Get a portable if you would like to take into to different rooms around the house or outside.

You need to do a little reading up about how the radio systems work now, is a little more involved than just listening to a freq. Hence you need a scanner that will decipher the system to allow you to hear all the traffic going through it.
I've been doing some research and believe that I need a scanner that supports trunking systems. Maybe my antenna's range hasn't been the issue, it's just that a lot of things here are on a trunking system. Is there anything else that you recommend that I read about?

Right now I'm considering the Uniden Bearcat BCT8.

Status
Not open for further replies.