Time Microwave LMR 200

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It'll work, but keep in mind that you'll loose 3dB of your received signal just in feed line losses. That's half your signal even before it gets to the radio.
That is certainly better than something like RG-58 (4.5dB loss, or about 2/3'rds the signal)

Regular RG-6 cable (yes, I know it's 75Ω) will perform a bit better than LMR-200 and will be less expensive.

Personally, I'd run something a bit better. 30 feet of cable isn't going to break the bank, and some LMR-400 will only result in 1dB of loss, or about 22% signal loss.

Keep in mind, you can offset the cable loss by using a higher gain antenna. Browning are pretty much bottom of the barrel when it comes to these antennas. If your budget allows, go with something with more gain, or a directional antenna, if all the stuff you want to listen to is in one general direction.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Laird is a well respected company. I ran some of their UHF antennas for a while, and I think I have a few 800MHz antennas of theirs used as small fixed stations at work. Never had any issues with them.

Cost $60 more, but has 3 more dB of gain and will offset the feed line losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.