Time to upgrade Uniden 396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

tszpara

Well my Uniden 396T died due to battery leakage. I though I took them out. Looking for something similar without breaking the bank.

Too much info to research so figured I'd ask here for suggestions. Live near New Haven CT.

(Instead of using a Q-tip and vinegar to clean I poured some vinegar.....yeah I'm a dumbass)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'll let the other Ct. scannists take the lead here, but just glancing over the database, you have a statewide trunk which is Phase 2, so the 396 wouldn't have done you much good with that.

I'd lean toward an used 325P....Mike

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Always can send it into uniden repair. Usually about 3 weeks from the time you send it, to getting it back.

Plus ~$10 to send it. From Uniden repair:
ModelRepair AvailableRepair PriceWith US Shipping
BCD396TYes$79.95$89.95

800-297-1023
M-F 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM Central

Too bad about the 396T that you can't adjust charging hours on it, its 14 hours or none - via the switch in the battery compartment.
Always can get if you have it repaired and then use an external battery charger.

Also recommend 325P2, you can adjust the charge hours on it, its phase II capable,
So these if interested would work-
Able to set priority on talkgroups, 25,000 vs 6,000, able to do multisite system - multiple towers, different frequencies, thing is its only 2 AA's vs. the 3 and it wont charge while your using like the 396T, only when its off.

Last edited:

tszpara

Looks like I revived it. I took it into work and took it apart and sprayed it with 70% alcohol. Then hit it with an air hose (much better than those cans of compressed air).

The charge off notification is due to a setting in battery compartment. (I had alkaline batteries in there)

Of course now I have a bid on a 325P2 on Ebay so we'll see if I win and upgrade or lose the bid and keep the 396T.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and help.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Sounds great , ebay prices on Unidens have historically been ridiculous to the point many often are higher than retail without warranty.
I wouldnt pay for then $300 for a used one, but thats just me.

You can retract a bid. Retracting a bid

Status
Not open for further replies.