Time Warner Internet Redirects

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
I use Time Warner Road Runner for my home ISP, both Ethernet and wi-fi access. Had it for 13 years. Why do I sometimes get redirected to Time Warner search page when trying to access different web pages using my home PC? When this happens I can access the correct pages using LTE on my ATT iPhone, but get the same redirects on the phone when I use wi-fi.

n5ims

Your DNS for your home router(s) are directing you to the different sites. Most likely this would be due to your ISP changing the entries on their servers to keep you using their services (and seeing their ads). You can program your router to use a "neutral" DNS server by hard-coding its address instead of having your router get the address from your ISP.

Using Google's DNS (plus instructions on how to change the settings) https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

List of other public DNS servers:
What are the DNS servers? Verizon Online DSL FAQ | DSLReports, ISP Information

CapStar362

i tried changing my DNS from Comcast to Google and got WORSE speed than with the Comcast DNS. yet, im having offloading issues that affect gaming like stink on poop!!

how is OpenDNS? fast? can it handle 160MBit/20MBit speeds?

now with the news of Comcast BUYING out Time Warner, for a reported $44 BILLION!! i think this is going to get worse. each time i start noting the burps in speed and what is known as "Rubber Banding" i check my route, and guess what, for some reason my Comcast gets routed through AT&T Nodes <--- WTF?!?!?

yes you read right, my signal ( when affected ), goes from my house, through AT&T UVerse and P.O.T.S. DSL Nodes, then onto Chicago where the BF4 Server my gaming clan rents from is located.... yet the server nor my comcast have no ( or at least claim not to ) affiliation with AT&T.

NFO Servers, use Inter-nap 10GBit Connections, through Level 3 and other Tier 1 Providers....not AT&T!!!

so what the hell? why do i get routed to less capable, slower rated, smaller throughput ability nodes?

Darth_vader

They're probably using AT&T as a fallback for when their Level 3 backhaul fails or has system problems. The Comcrap monopoly here also does that, from what I'm told, using a bank of IDSL lines on ORCHWA01DS0 yet.

Still better than just having your Internet access go out altogether, innit?

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I have Comcast and I can't do a successful tracert because I have an iptable in my router that mangles the TTL. Sometimes I do get dropped from a server in Europe gaming though, but I think that's because of their server.

Blackink

CapStar362....When you talk about "check my route and you see that Comcast gets routes through AT&T Nodes", are you meaning to do a tracert in the DOS window after running cmd, and seeing what is displayed there?

al95

I have time warner cable internet and had the same problem

I use Time Warner Road Runner for my home ISP, both Ethernet and wi-fi access. Had it for 13 years. Why do I sometimes get redirected to Time Warner search page when trying to access different web pages using my home PC? When this happens I can access the correct pages using LTE on my ATT iPhone, but get the same redirects on the phone when I use wi-fi.

When you do a search it redirects you to time warner search page. Somewhere near the top it reads why I'm I here click on it will tell you how to stop this from happening. I hope this works for you it help me. No don't mess around with the router or modem settings.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
When you do a search it redirects you to time warner search page. Somewhere near the top it reads why I'm I here click on it will tell you how to stop this from happening. I hope this works for you it help me. No don't mess around with the router or modem settings.
The redirects had nothing to do with doing a search. They happened when I would click on a bookmark to a web page. At any rate, I think it may have had to do with extreme volume at the time due to the winter weather, as I was trying access the Duke Energy Outage page at the time of the redirects. The next day going forward I've had no further redirects.

Status
Not open for further replies.