them here in Shawnee). Anyone got them programed and
working? Sorry if this is a newbie question (have owned
scanners since buying crystals at RS back on the 70's) but
still learning on this stuff.

Thanks
Jim in Shawnee

woodyrr

Welcome to the forums.

I have pretty much quit listening to Tinker fire and security because on some of the radios, especially the fire radios, someone has bumped the "encryption switch" and so half of the transmissions are needlessly encrypted and half are not. I don't know if it is still the case, but the last time that I listened, ground control on the crash net was encrypted. I get tired of hearing my 996 "choke" every time some clueless doofus with an encrypted radio talks. End rant.

That being said, this afternoon the security radios are active on 406.1625 and the fire radios are active on 406.7625 except that someone is still encrypted on both. :roll:

There are many variables affecting reception, but the one that immediately comes to my mind in your case is that these new frequencies are UHF while the older ones were VHF which tends to propagate further all other things being equal.

jmiles56

RE;Tinker AFB Frequencies

Thanks woodyrr.

Had to make a trip to OKC this morning so took the 996xt along and did some monitoring. Base security was encrypted about 90% of the time. Buses,maint and parts were in the clear..but not real interesting listening.(besides one bus driver and a dispatcher kind of getting a little heated). You are probably correct on the uhf hop even though it's just 20 miles or so. Antenna ( well it's a RS Discone if you count that as an antenna) is only up 20' or so. My mil-air reception isn't to great either so will look into something with a little more umph and get it up another 10~20'. Least I know i'm not missing to much at Tinker.

Have a good one!
Jim
BCD996xt BC895xlt Pro-2053 Pro-528 Pro-92 Pro-2005 Icom R-75

Sparky_one

Kind of a question

A guy sold me a Relm MPU32A but advertised it as the B model with 70cm coverage. Unfortunately this radio specs out at 403 to 430MHz. He refunded me the money but let me keep the radio. I then figured that only some government frequencies were in this band. So I put in several Tinker frequencies and the 406 EPIRB frequency. I used to listen to 121.5 a lot. There is very little to no activity on the posted frequencies. So this venture has been a wash.
Just out of raw luck, do any of you know how to change this radio to the B model? So far I've hit a dead end on trying to find out. It is a nice radio with a good battery. You just flip a switch inside to program it.
Thanks

SABRE46

There is lots of activity on the posted Tinker freqs... problem is half of its encrypted and the other half just isn't worth listening to unless youre keeping track of how many miles SF is putting on their vehicles...

plaws

Premium Subscriber
There is lots of activity on the posted Tinker freqs... problem is half of its encrypted and the other half just isn't worth listening to unless youre keeping track of how many miles SF is putting on their vehicles...

I'm not catching any encrypted stuff. I hear plenty of P25, but the 396 should stop on encrypted traffic and flash "ENC" with no audio (obviously) on the display.

Agreed that it's none too exciting.

woodyrr

The infuriating thing about the encryption is that it is evident that the encrypted transmissions are not intentional.

On the fire side, you'll hear something to the effect of:

Transmission: "Rescue 1. can you open the gate please?"

Reply: ENC

Transmission: "You can close the gate now."

Transmission: "Chief 1 - Ground - Permission to cross 1-2-3 zero at Golf."

Transmission: "Chief 1 understands clear to cross 1-2-3 zero at Golf."

On the security side:

Transmission: "Romeo 1 - Control - radio check.

Reply: "Romeo 1, loud and clear"

Transmission: ENC

Reply: "Romeo 2, loud and clear".

On the fire side:

Transmission: Truck 1 is on the scene, building XXXX - nothing showing - building has been evacuated - will be investigating"

Reply: ENC :roll:

SCPD

QRT
The reason why you hear half the conversation encrypted is cause most military people don't know how to really use the radio. The only thing most of them know how to do is talk, change channel and change the volume. That's it.
Some of them know who to erase the encryption key, just to piss off the LMR shop.

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
The reason why you hear half the conversation encrypted is cause most military people don't know how to really use the radio. The only thing most of them know how to do is talk, change channel and change the volume. That's it.
Some of them know who to erase the encryption key, just to piss off the LMR shop.

This applies across the board. I am talking law enforcment, fire, etc. A lot of them hardly know how to change to a different channel even. A lot of them in my area don't even know you are SUPPOSED TO PUSH TO TALK.....BEFORE......YOU START TALKING! :D

SCPD

QRT
SPs are very very special group.
In order to become an SP you have to score so low on the ASVAB that you can not qualify for any other job.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
The infuriating thing about the encryption is that it is evident that the encrypted transmissions are not intentional.

On the fire side, you'll hear something to the effect of:

Transmission: "Rescue 1. can you open the gate please?"

et cetera

Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing the ENC flash when listening to TIK. Must pay closer attention!

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
SPs are very very special group.
In order to become an SP you have to score so low on the ASVAB that you can not qualify for any other job.

I didn't copy what you said, how copy? Could you, exercise, please, exercise, explain what the score, exercise, of a rock, is, how copy, exercise?!?!

Please respond when your negative, how copy?...........................

Do you think I would answer the radio if I DIDN'T copy????????????

I'm glad I wasn''t an SP cause I would be so embarrassed if anyone heard the kinda stupid stuff they have to say on the radio's!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.