Tinny and cricket sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullmax

My feed sounds ok but I keep hearing this tinny and cricket sound. The tinny sound is when I first hear a broadcast and if it is a long broadcast, it goes away as the conversation goes on. The cricket sound is always there when there is no broadcasts. Any ideas? I dont think its radio hum. I only hear this on my iphone or on the emergency radio app.

WouffHong

Another Mystery..

When I was feeding from an older XP laptop, it would go into go into double-speed audio after a few days!! - From normal speech to Chipmunk rate+ and remain there.

This happened multiple times.

Finally had to put in a regular PC and no problems.

BUT, nobody (yet) has ever been able to explain HOW the audio rate went to double (or possibly triple) high-pitched speech speed!

Any takers?

Tom

Last edited:

Bullmax

Does that have anything to do with my post?

When I was feeding from an older XP laptop, it would go into go into double-speed audio after a few days!! - From normal speech to Chipmunk rate+ and remain there.

This happened multiple times.

Finally had to put in a regular PC and no problems.

BUT, nobody (yet) has ever been able to explain HOW the audio rate went to double (or possibly triple) high-pitched speech speed!

Any takers?

Tom

luke-1

My feed sounds ok but I keep hearing this tinny and cricket sound. The tinny sound is when I first hear a broadcast and if it is a long broadcast, it goes away as the conversation goes on. The cricket sound is always there when there is no broadcasts. Any ideas? I dont think its radio hum. I only hear this on my iphone or on the emergency radio app.

I have that same sound on my feed, no matter how I listen to it. It sounds fine going to scannercast, but has that cricket sound when it comes back. I have tried to eliminate interference, like moving my wireless router and separating power lines from antenna lines. I installed ground loop isolators, although it wasn't a hum, but did it anyway. I can't figure it out either. I have just accepted it. You can hear the feed fine, just a little annoying to me.

Bullmax

Make sure mic boost is unchecked in the advanced audio settings. Made a big difference for me.

DigitalMDX

Feed Provider
Very odd

It seems more pronounced on the Web Player and the Java Player. When listening to your stream with Real Player I get a different effect. It's like a motor pulsing on then off for a bit. I can almost hear noises like you would get on a radio if your neighbor was a HAM and was transmitting at times.

Do you have any other scanners or radios near your streaming scanner?

Have you tried plugging the power supply in to different outlets to try and isolate it away from the RF?

I would try the following:
1) Different power outlets. If its a portable scanner how does it sound on battery power?
2) Move the location of the scanner (away from other electrical devices)
3) Try a simple choke on the power cord for the scanner
4) Does the noise change if you hold the antenna with your hand?

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.