Tippecanoe County lafayette

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9GTJ

From today's Indianapolis Star

LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Tippecanoe County is taking part in a federal project to make the two-way radios used by police, fire and emergency responders safe from electronic interference from cellular phone frequencies.

The county was chosen for the government's $2.5 billion pilot project because it already has a superior communication system, said Mark Kirby, the county's emergency management director.

The project aims to change the frequencies for the two-way radios used by thousands of police, fire and other public agencies across the nation. Nextel has agreed to pay for the switch.

County agencies using two-way radios in the 800 megahertz range have spent the past few weeks temporarily turning over their equipment on a day-by-day basis to be inventoried.

"We're inventorying almost 2,000 radios," said Phil Lehman, who co-owns Lafayette-based RA-COMM, which is doing the work.

Nextel will fund the shipment of software for radios that can be reprogrammed and fund the shipment of new radios to replace ones that can't, said Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Capt. Charlie Williams, who's overseeing the project for the county.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060821/NEWS01/608210381&SearchID=73254460228178

Go-24

Yep, we spoke about experiencing this process here ... http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45546

As for the statement by Mark Kirby that "it already has a superior communication system" I hate to see systems which are questionable because in my half a dozen or so months of listening to their system I have heard officers complain about communication related issues pretty much daily.

Was really hoping to have seen "digital" mentioned in one of those articles. :(

K9GTJ

Go-24 said:
Yep, we spoke about experiencing this process here ... http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45546

As for the statement by Mark Kirby that "it already has a superior communication system" I hate to see systems which are questionable because in my half a dozen or so months of listening to their system I have heard officers complain about communication related issues pretty much daily.

Was really hoping to have seen "digital" mentioned in one of those articles. :(

I do remeber that conversation. Has it gotten any better over there?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
bessiedawg said:
Does Tippecanoe have plans of joining SAFE-T ?

If you check the article - you'll see they are just rebanding their current system. They would not do that if they were going to drop the system and join Safe-T.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Tippecanoe County already uses backup talkgroups on SAFE-T, mostly for Failsoft conditions and the State Road 43 radio dead zone. Doesn't look like the county will move over to SAFE-T completely any time soon.

Interestiing that nothing was mentioned about moving to digital in the article either.

bessiedawg

There was a feature article in the Lafayette paper shortly after ISP Dist 14 went digital. It explained the advantages of digital and mentioned that the rest of the county would be digital and be able to communicate with each other in "a few weeks". That was quite some time ago. How ever long ISP has been digital. It sounds like there was a major change in plans.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
bessiedawg said:
There was a feature article in the Lafayette paper shortly after ISP Dist 14 went digital. It explained the advantages of digital and mentioned that the rest of the county would be digital and be able to communicate with each other in "a few weeks". That was quite some time ago. How ever long ISP has been digital. It sounds like there was a major change in plans.

Any mention of budget cuts?

Go-24

Nah on the contrary, at least for west lafayette, our council just ok'd raises ;) surely they arent cutting. hahaha

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Go-24 said:
Nah on the contrary, at least for west lafayette, our council just ok'd raises ;) surely they arent cutting. hahaha

But it looks like it's going to be Re-banded and payed for by NEXTEL as a pilot program, per the J and C article.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
No, NEXTEL is paying for all rebanding of every network in the country...

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Got it, Just quoting the article Mr. Dale.

"Nextel will fund the shipment of software for radios that can be reprogrammed and fund the shipment of new radios to replace ones that can't, said Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Capt. Charlie Williams, who's overseeing the project for the county."

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for quoting what we already know..

Last edited:

Go-24

rdale, whats up your crawl? hah! Life rough for ya at the moment or what? Try this, smile for an hour or so, it will make you feel better.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I'm quite happy today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.