Tips for a new satellite listener?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylehotchkiss

I have a 2m band Icom handheld radio and was hoping to catch the ISS in its pass over my school this Thursday. Do y'all have any tips? I have the included ("Rubber Ducky?") antenna. I know it's possible to catch the ISS this way just not the details..

Oh and what's the usual doppler shift from horizon to actual frequency?

Thanks!

ind224

145.8 and enjoy. I use Heavens Above for tracking since JTrack 3D went away.
Receive only for me, never worried about doppler, good copy both voice and packet with a duck if they were 40* or higher.

WAScanMan

You're probably going to need a better antenna. Get it outside and as high as you can! I use n2yo to track passed in conjunction with heavens-above.
EDIT: And as ind224 stated 145.8 is a good freq and I'd only worry about passes that are at least 35-40 degrees or higher.

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
If you have an Android smartphone, try "Satellite AR" which will map the birds against the sky as they pass overhead. Pretty slick. There are some other satellite-tracking apps for the Android too, but this one is my favorite.

WAScanMan

If you have an Android smartphone, try "Satellite AR" which will map the birds against the sky as they pass overhead. Pretty slick. There are some other satellite-tracking apps for the Android too, but this one is my favorite.

I can second this endorsement on the mobile side. N2yo crashes on my Android phone and Android tablet. It's nice to have an app that streamlines it for you. Also, if you don't hear it first try don't give up! It can be discouraging at times working with the sats but the payoff is well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.