Tips for emergency preparedness

Status
Not open for further replies.

cummingc

I have the inreach mini with text messaging. We spend a lot of time without cell coverage in Eastern Oregon. The mini works great. I have reached some repeaters with my HT but not much going on or people just don't want to respond.

KK6HRW

You might want to check out the different cell carriers for the region your looking to be in. Maybe or not, there just might be another cell carrier that may have some coverage where your looking to be in. Don't go by any coverage map they provide, because most of them are bogus anyway.

I have worked for many different cellular companies since 1991. Have used just about every carrier out there over the years. What I have found during traveling around a bunch is that Verizon and AT&T would be my choice of carriers. Sprint seems to brag about their coverage, but in using their phone, their coverage did not impress me at all outside any major city or high house concentration areas or along large Interstate highways.

Jim
For emergency use only, I belive that a call placed to 9-1-1 will go through the tower system of any cellular company in range, with or without an active account.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
For emergency use only, I belive that a call placed to 9-1-1 will go through the tower system of any cellular company in range, with or without an active account.

If there are any towers/sites in range, that are compatible with the phone. Dialing 911, or whatever emergency number, does not make the phone have a new RF band, nor mode.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
To the OP, as noted in this post and others, Iridium is the solution I would first try before relying on any amateur repeaters, or simplex. I like the mini due to its size, but the Garmin inReach SE+ has double the battery life of the mini and the SE+ is $290 on Amazon. That is just the device though. You can get annual or monthly service subscriptions you can turn off / on as needed. What is also convenient is the ability to send and receive text messages for non-emergency situations. A particular number of text messages are included and you pay for extra, or unlimited depending on the plan. (That's per text message whether sent or received) See the bottom of this page for plan details. Satellite Communication Devices | inReach® by GARMIN

I have the inreach mini with text messaging. We spend a lot of time without cell coverage in Eastern Oregon. The mini works great. I have reached some repeaters with my HT but not much going on or people just don't want to respond.

jim202

To the OP, as noted in this post and others, Iridium is the solution I would first try before relying on any amateur repeaters, or simplex. I like the mini due to its size, but the Garmin inReach SE+ has double the battery life of the mini and the SE+ is $290 on Amazon. That is just the device though. You can get annual or monthly service subscriptions you can turn off / on as needed. What is also convenient is the ability to send and receive text messages for non-emergency situations. A particular number of text messages are included and you pay for extra, or unlimited depending on the plan. (That's per text message whether sent or received) See the bottom of this page for plan details. Satellite Communication Devices | inReach® by GARMIN

Iridium is fine as long as there is no major activity going on.

As an example, when Katrina hit the New Orleans area, it worked fine for the first day I was there. After that, you could not make a call to save your life during the daytime. There were just too many people using the system. You would have to wait until way into the evening when the use fell off to make any calls.

So bear this in mind when planning the emergency response and use of an Iridium phone for emergency use. They do work well if there is no major response going on. You might be much better off with a radio link like VHF, low band or HF radio channels for your required communications. These won't be a non monitored channel, but they will allow you to communicate.

Jim

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Hello Jim,

The Garmin inReach SE+ and the Garmin mini are not Iridium phones. They send short messages and should work for what the OP posted regarding their respective needs.

A wide area/population infrastructure issue is a different topic to discuss, but your point is a good one to remind people about.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The Garmin inReach SE+ and the Garmin mini are not Iridium phones. They send short messages and should work for what the OP posted regarding their respective needs.

Right, they do use the Iridium network, but just SMS. They'll queue up and send the message.

We've had a PLB we've carried on the trail for years. Just bought an InReach Mini to carry also. Seems to work well enough in my limited testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.