Tips on using a BCT15 with Fleetnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
I've got the Ontario Fleetnet system programmed on my 246T, but not on the BCT15. Any tips on programming it properly? If possible, I'd like to add all of the freqs in so that it'll work no matter where I am. What's the best way to do this? Is it necessary to use a different site for each freq (area)?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes, you should set up every site on the system as its own site in the BCT15. I'd group sites that I would want to generally scan together (i.e. geographically nearby) with the same SQK so that you can quickly switch between sets of sites, depending on your location.

Well, actually, I'd program lat/lon/range coordinates for each site and let the GPS turn each one on/off automatically as I roved the area.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Im pretty sure you know this (as your really knowledgeable) but remember you wont get OPP police on Fleetnet as its digital and you have a BCT15. How come you didnt get a 996 since you wanted it for Fleetnet?

pathalogical

Aren't the 15 & 246 essentially the same radio ? If your 246 is programmed to your satisfaction and is working well for the stuff you are monitoring, why not program the 15 the exact same way. In your post you said " Any tips on programming it properly?" Honestly, I don't think there is a 'proper' way to program a scanner. There are as many ways to program a scanner as there are scanner users out there. I think my radio is programmed 'properly' for my listening pleasure. Using Toronto Public Safety as an example, if we compared our 246s they will be totally different ! I'm looking to get another scanner (digital), if I do, it will be programmed the exact same way as my 246, plus all the digital goodies out there !!!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The needs for digital aside, BCT15 has multisite where the BC246T does not. While you can certainly use the same setup in the 15 as the 246, the 15 allows much better scanning and selection when the target is a multisite system.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
yes i agree with upman, since i know you travel a lot for photo duties id def take advantage of the multi site function. But also i agree with tbe orher members keep ur 246 style so maybe the 246 setup for talkgroups but multi site for the actual systems

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Alright folks.. it's been busy, and I just had some time to do a bit of reprogramming. Came back to this thread and found some great info.

I decided to take advantage of the BCT15's multi-site capability by creating one system and programming all of the Zone 1 sites within that system. I don't have the GPS accessory for the scanner. Here's the problem -- with all of these systems, I don't know the best way to quick-key everything. I don't know why I decided to program ALL of the towers, considering I'll probably never get a hit off of 80% of them. With only 10 possible system quick keys, I can't figure out how to organize it. Right now it scans all of the towers.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
You can lock-out the towers/sites you dont need.
Leave the quick key ON.

Push the circle knob (function) and twist it when u get to the others towers hit LOCKOUT twice I believe (so its on lockout not temporary lock out).

Repeat this many times for each other tower. This will scan the other non locked out towers.

FYI you have 99 (or 100 I forget).. system quick keys for the BCT15

I do Zone 1 as quick key 1,
zone 2 quick key 2 etc... and turn it off if your not near zone 2.

Yes this means you will have to turn towers on and off but it works.
Otherwise investing in a GPS to automatically turn quick keys on and off (because you travel a lot) might be a good idea.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Actually, GPS automatically locks/unlocks systems/sites whose SQK's are enabled. You still manually enable/disable quick keys.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
The GPS feature is pretty much useless on the system that he is talking about.

The problem with the GPS feature is that (from what I understand), it takes a given GPS point and radius around it. Instead, what Uniden should have done (and hopefully will!!) is allow the user to "draw" boundaries on a mapping program which would then get uploaded into the scanner. This way, as soon as you drove across a boundary line, the scanner would automatically select the correct system and settings you want to hear for that area.

If such a feature was implemented, it would be possible to program the scanner in such a way that you'd never have to touch a button regardless of where you drove in Ontario.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Strategically drawn circles (intersecting geopolitical boundaries at the major freeway points, for example) can come close to doing what you want (but I agree that an irregular shaped boundary would be better).

To get around the irregular shape limitation, I use multiple virtual "sites" for each patrol district, positioning and sizing each site to closely approximate the district's area of responsibility. For example, in the attached, all the circles actually correspond to the same set of frequencies. Each colored set is in their own system with the appropriate TGIDs for the corresponding patrol district in the systems' channels.

Arl only.jpg

(I know this example is far afield from the system of interest, but this is the only dwg I've got that shows this...)

Last edited:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Hmm, I didn't know you could have more than one 'circle' in each area. That would work a bit better I'd imagine.

Plus you automatically have some overlap between patrol zones, which would be good for when you're in the area immediately around the borders.

Is there a limit to how many different GPS coordinates you can enter? For a large irregular shaped area (which there are a number of for the Provincial Police here), I guess you could use small circles for the bordering areas and a few larger circles to encompass the "body" of the area - but that could get pretty "circle intensive" in some areas.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You can have up to 256 sites per Motorola/EDACS system (for Conventional/LTR you'd have to duplicate every channel into multiple systems).

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
exkalibur said:
The GPS feature is pretty much useless on the system that he is talking about.

I would have thought it would help, but I dont know I dont use a GPS.

I still say he should upgrade to a 996 (or similar digital) as the BCT15 will only get the analog talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.