Tipton County Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveEJ

Premium Subscriber
BCD996XT Useless?

So, with the new trunking is my Bearcat BCD996XT pretty much useless for monitoring LE in the western half of Tennessee? Any new basestation type models coming out that does digital decoding?

TIA

Steve

Steve,

Digital Decoding is a broad question, if you are asking if your scanner can work with DMR (AKA MotoTRBO) then your answer is no, it can't by itself. You will need a Scanner with a discriminator tap or a discriminator output, and DSD program. Or in some cases it may be possible to monitor with a DMR radio (ensure it is set up monitor only).

Hope this helps, Andy

SteveEJ

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD436HP with Sentinel. Tipton, Covington, Brighton, etc. are not listed in TACN that came with the software and was updated. Any information available on them?

Thanks,

Steve

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
They are not using the TACN system they are using Motorola MOTOTRBO this form of digital is not trackable by any scanner on the market today. AOR has a $1000.00 scanner that all the bugs are not out of the last time I read. But you can do SDR SOFTWARE DEFINED RADIO and a Digital encoder and a computer and listen to them. But you BCD436HP will not work.

SteveEJ

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I need to get that working. Guess I need some more time to read and get the SDR working.

I need to get this handheld set up and working for Brighton and Springville/Paris areas first.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Paris Henry County is no problem works great on the other hand Carroll County McKenzie Huntington are all moving to a trunking system version of Tipton County. TACN works great in Henry County using Paris Dover Gleason and McEwen sites. With Ripley Trenton Jackson working and Hornbeak and UT Martin coming online soon.

SteveEJ

Premium Subscriber
I have it set up on the handheld and will try it out next week. Shelby county works great.

I have my RTL-SDR sort of working. Not getting much gain out of it. Audio is very weak. Using VB to pipe audio and DSD+ to decode. I need to play with it some more.

SteveEJ

Premium Subscriber
I have the handheld working and a GPS for it now. I also have my USB radio with DVD+ and SDR# working listening to TC Dispatch. I am showing it on 460.3625. Does that sound right or is my receiver off a little?

Thx..

SteveEJ

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know where I can find DSD1.7 Windows binary? I am trying to get SDR# working with a decoder that has good clear audio. DSDPlus works but I can't seem to get it cleaned up. Any help would be appreciated. I want to contribute to the information and have figured SDR# out pretty well.

Also, any SDR Play users out there? It is more expensive than the USB dongles but supposed to be a lot better.

TIA

Steve

SteveEJ

Premium Subscriber
OK. No luck with the binary for DSD1.7 but I did find out what was wrong with DSD Plus. I had to use the -fr switch to invert the signal. Now all is loud and clear.

BTW: I am getting TC Dispatch for Police and Fire on 460.160

Thanks,

Steve

W3DMV

TRIP HELP

Planning for a trip to Tipton Co to see an old friend.
Trying to assemble my scanner list for the trip but after
reviewing the FCC license, and the list in the RRDB, there
seems to be differences between the two. Perhaps someone can
clear it up for me.

The trunking license, WPXE865 was the only trunking
one I could locate in the files. Some frequencies are
licensed for 7K60FXD, and others are only 11K2F3E
--
Would appreciate if someone would help me understand
what to program. Are they actually using NFM frequencies for TRBO
or does the database need some work.

Mixed bag system using both modes depending on the
frequency ? Any help would be appreciated....
----
BRIGHTON
..11K2F3E 460.2250, 460.3750
..7K60FXD NONE

COVINGTON
..11K2F3E 460.2250, 460.3750
..7K60FXD NONE

COVINGTON
..11K2F3E 453.5625, 460.3625
..7K60FXD 453.7875, 453.9000

BROWNSVILLE
..11K2F3E 453.3875, 460.0375
..7K60FXD 453.2000, 453.9750

WILKINSVILLE
..11K2F3E 453.1875, 453.6625
..7K60FXD 460.2625

CHARLESTON
..11K2F3E NONE
..7K60FXD 460.1375, 460.2875, 460.6125

---

SteveEJ

Premium Subscriber
I can't speak for others but I listen to police dispatch 460.160 (I don't see that in your list). From the different locations I hear I believe it to be TC Sheriff dispatch. I have not 'Ventured out' too much from there. I am using a discone antenna in the attic so not the best setup for long range scanning. I hope to get an outside pole with several antennas up this fall when the heat is not too bad. Let me know if there is something special you want me to listen for.

SteveEJ

Premium Subscriber
Started monitoring single frequency and am hearing traffic on 460.240 NFM in the clear. Haven't figured out who it is yet. It is a LE Dispatch. Getting a better antenna for the SDR Thursday. I will program it into my 996 tomorrow and start monitoring as I can.

SteveEJ

Premium Subscriber
Ok.. Sorry for the previous stupidity. I am a novice learning the hard way.

I calibrated the SDR with SDR# and have the freq.'s in the database programmed in. I can decode the TC Digital now.

I would like to set up a trunk system in SDR# to follow the TC TRBO System freq.'s but will need some help. I have several SDR USB sticks and a Quad core Win7 box to run it on. Anyone willing to help with this? I can help with system info for the RR database if I can get some help.

TIA

Steve

SteveEJ

Premium Subscriber
Still crickets here..

I have set up Easy Scanner to work with SDR# set up with the TC Freqs. It is working very well. Not trunking but does what I need. I know nothing about setting up SDR# with a trunking plugin and MAY look into it next.

I think with the second dongle I will set up a TC Fire dispatch scanner.

Question: Is Easy Scanner the best simple scanner for SDR# or is there a better one that will scan a little faster?

As a tip: I did put the DSD+ Process (in the Task Manager) on 'Real Time' to give it the priority it needed to help with some break ups and garbling. It solved some issues.

Thx

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
For NXDN/DMR Trunking you need 2 or more dongles dedicated to DSD T. And then another dedicated to DSD+ for conventional DMR/NXDN.

Status
Not open for further replies.