Tipton County Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve,
Not sure what you are trying to listen to but for instance, with the county....most sites have 2 frequencies, so set up SDR# with scanner plugin with the 2 frequencies and set them in a group named Wilkensville. Then when you are in area, turn on that group. You can also mix in the Tricity and Covington frequencies if you want. You may need to play with some of the scan/hold times, otherwise it will sit on the beacon and miss other areas/frequencies. Also keep in mind, calls are simulcast vis internet connections to other sites/towers. Give it a try......
Later, Andy

johnoconnor98

Premium Subscriber
Wow.. Quiet in West Tennessee.

I must be too far away. I can't hear so much as a cricket on any of the freqs listed for TC.

I'm just using the USB stick with the included antenna with SDR# and DSD+. I can pick up several DMR systems in Memphis and West Memphis, but nothing from Tipton County.

John,
That could be. Do you happen to have access to a better antenna. I actually go back and forth between little dongle antenna and use a MFJ VHF/UHF mag mount antenna sitting on ledge upstairs for better distance reception, however I can not monitor W Memphis from Tipton Co. My CS700 picks up Tipton in Memphis with no problems.
Andy

SteveEJ

Premium Subscriber
I am using a USB stick with a Discone antenna. I have a inline powered amp on the system as well. I get TC loud and clear with DSD+ and SDR#. I am using the Easy Scanner plugin and have the TC freqs programmed in. All is working very well. I will be adding another USB stick for the Fire freqs soon.

I listen to Shelby County with BCD996XT on the same antenna all loud and clear.

I use the BCD436HP with GPS for when I travel and go to Henry County.

Fun stuff!

Here is the amp:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DRMKXW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Here is the splitter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KO8WATW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Both work well. I am sure there is better out there but it works for me.. :)

SteveEJ

Premium Subscriber
John Conner,

Tipton County is very quiet compared to Shelby County. There was some action the other day with a person and a BB gun on Atoka-Idaville rd. Mostly traffic stops. You should be able to hear them with a decent antenna. The little one that came with the USB sticks are very short range and almost useless.

RadioCopFFFR

I have been monitoring Tipton Co. with DSD. I have noticed one of the dispatcher's audio sounds like it is inverted or scrambled. The cars come in fine. I have heard this on Sheriffs dispatch, EMS, and Fire. It has been on the Wilkinsville site. I haven't tried any other sites yet.

ki4gyw

Premium Subscriber
figures

That's one way to vendor lock a system. At least Madison counties agreement on there TRBO system states the vendor must provide all system information including encryption codes IP addresses passwords and so forth all the equipment they own

SCPD

QRT
I Believe the county asked for it's total encryption.Believe someone got In trouble out that way that lead to it.

RayAir

Any idea if they're using basic privacy scrambling or enhanced privacy encryption?

DSD+ will show Alg=BP (basic) or Alg=EP (enhanced)

Basic scrambling has characteristics of speech with silence in between pauses. Enhanced sounds more like continuous noise.

W2sjw Radio Sounds page has examples of both types of MotoTRBO voice security selections.

Just curious what they chose to use.

ki4gyw

Premium Subscriber
I know for a fact the tech that built the first codeplug had basic encryption checked but didn't have a clue on having to set a key. I was there and seen the codeplug. Guess they got past basic programming finally lol. Now if "People" would keep up with firmware issues and other basic knowledge from two years ago, Such as being able to disable a radio on a LCP system using a conventional frequency which was reported to Motorola at least a year or two ago, Instead of calling the FBI saying someone is hacking public safety systems just because it was mentioned and that firmware needed to be fixed! They need to press Motorola to fix the problems not come after people who know about the problems (aka authenticated disable in recent firmware for that fix). Tipton is suppose to be running TurboNet which is a nice software package but wouldn't use it for 911 or wouldn't back when it was first quoted (Maybe the Back End functions like GPS -> GIS using the SQL DB and for Voice and Call Logging and such but not for Primary Dispatch use). I also am wondering if GPS is being run over the Voice Channels via a "hack job" instead of having a Dedicated Data repeater.

~Everyone better patch your fortinet firewalls ~
Et tu, Fortinet? Hard-coded password raises new backdoor eavesdropping fears | Ars Technica

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Could Use Some Help

I am still getting set up with SDR and am a bit of a noob when it comes to using it. I can get the VB cables set up and get a decent waveform in Unitrunker but still no joy dropping the data stream just seeing lots of errors. I'm going to invert the signal just to see if that has an effect. It kind of looks like I may be wasting my time on TCSO if they have enhanced encryption.

If anybody else could screen cap what they are using that works and send it to me I would appreciate any help.

SCPD

QRT
It does not matter it is ENCRYPTED and the law is clear on that point. It is against the law unless they (the owner of the system) gives you the code.

I had no idea you were a member of the bar, Budd. Thank you for your unsolicited legal opinion but it raises as many questions as I suspect you perhaps intended that it ought to answer.

I note that somebody addressed the format, it's basic encryption. I have the manuals and the system planning guide that Motorola graciously provided to me at no expense. After reading through about a volume and a half of material, I can't but help ask a few more questions and take advantage of you extensive technical and legal accumen. Thank you for obliging. There are so many ersatz, fake and phoney people who pretend to know about law these days that you can never be too careful, isn't that right?

Basic encryption stores a single 8 bit key on the target radio code plug image. I found both the part number for the radio and the encryption options. I Skyped to a distributor I've done business with off and on for about twenty years. He confirmed price, availability and had only two questions, did I want to charge to the card I have on file and how would I like it shipped?

So Budd, in your opinion, as a lawyer, does possession of the radio equipped with the correct options constitute sufficient probable cause to merit a search warrant and if so how soon can we roll with this? I'll even send you the tracking key on the shipment.

Hypothetically speaking, a radio without the system information (talk groups, rest channels, etc etc) probably wouldn't work too well. An encryption key on a radio that won't tune wouldn't really do anything though I suppose a good lawyer could find twelve people stupid enough to believe it unless the case went to trial in Los Angeles.

So I guess I'd need to know just enough about the system to work out how the radio needs to be programmed for all that stuff too. Am I right?

Or is there some kind of constructive possession like there has been for ages on precursor and formulas or mixing M-16 parts in AR-15 assemblies?

But back to the key. An eight bit key has total number of 256 possible combinations (more if you had common core math, but in the programming world, 256, no more, no less).

I am absolutely certain based on decades of programming experience that I have in my possession right now, every conceivable combination of 8 bits that is known to man. I would voluntarily provide an affidavit attesting to that effect.

So, Budd, would THAT be enough to get an arrest warrant, in your opinion as a lawyer?

Thanks in advance. It's awesome to have somebody who knows about the law.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sir I would ask you to read the rules here in the forum about asking about encryption. The other answer as a member of a public servce and 2way programmer that possession of said radio is against the law. Also if you did not know being a newby here that several law enforcement agencies have sent the proper paperwork to the owner of this site to get the real name of the user posting things like you just did.

Status
Not open for further replies.