• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

'Tis the Season... Bubble Packs return like the Swallows of Capistrano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans13

FRS/GMRS:

There's a couple of kids that have continued using their bubble packs, on and off, for more than a year since I've been at this location. Of course, they ramp up operations during breaks; especially over Christmas. Adults are apparently getting bubble packs and Bull Frog radios around this time as well. For me personally, I enjoy the extra activity on the air. I think activity is higher this year than last.

Is there increased FRS/GMRS traffic in your area this holiday season? How does it compare to the past around this time of year?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Oh yeah, definitely picks up on Christmas and after. Included in that extra traffic are the people on the roads travelling. A lot of convoys, off-roaders going out to the desert, skiing, etc.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Lots of kiddies in the neighborhood got FRS radios for Christmas this year. Perhaps it will spark their interest in radio. I used to chat with my neighbor and his kids when they were small on FRS. We'd have the kids fetching us beers from the kitchen. So yeah, FRS is good for something.

DJ11DLN

I live out in the sticks, nearest neighbor is a bit over a quarter mile off and there's no young children closer than about a mile so no, nothing at home on FRS and I suspect with the relative price of MURS radios most kiddies would get the former. I almost never hear anything on MURS except the farmers during busy season. I caught a few snippets of FRS while on the road yesterday but that was all.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
It's pretty much the same every Christmas holiday where I am... lots of kiddies singing and endlessly popping their courtesy tones. In a week or so, the batteries will run down and it will eventually get quieter again. Gotta love it!

n1das

Very little activity in my neighborhood. I notice the same pattern every Christmas. Activity peaks on Christmas Day and subsides in the days after.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Hans13

There are businesses and schools that also use FRS in our neighborhood. Of course, they are quiet during the holiday break. I'm curious if more users hang on longer than the typical season's alkaline life. One of our repeater group has been spreading the gospel of GMRS licensing to some newly on air adult bubble pack users in his neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.