Title tagging RS PRO-96 Trunked frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

porschenut

I am a newcommer to using a trunked scanner.
Is it true that trunked frequencies can not be title tagged because more than one Fire / and, or Police dept. use the same frequency?
I find that thumbing through my Radio Reference frequency list for Baltimore County and City, I have to do it fast in order to find the code(DEC) to match the frequency being used. There must be an easier method. I need someone's advice. I am a 72 y.o. retired individual that is in need of some guidance when it comes to these new fangled gadgets!
Thank you,
Porschenut

hill

Premium Subscriber
You can alpha tag channels and talkgroup IDs. In trunking systems you have to get away with thinking of a frequency is only assigned to one agency, since the system assigns the talkgroup to any open frequency when the user uses the push to talk button on the radio.
Your PRO-96 monitors the data transmissions from the local trunked systems so you can listen like a user of the system and will only track talkgroups that you have interest in receiving. You need to read page 45 in the Owners Manual on Text Tagging a channel.
The information for Text Tagging a talkgroup is located on page 47.

You should think about getting the cable from Radio Shack and downloading Win96 to program this scanner. Win96 makes the PRO-96 much easier to program and if you get the program you can get files from other people. Win96 is free for 30 days before you have to pay, so you can test it before spending money on the program. I have provided you a link to download the program. I have that Win96 files that can be provided to you that can be upload to you PRO-96 for the Baltimore Metro Area.

http://www.starrsoft.com/software/win96/default.asp

Larry

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
I second that. I can't imagine having to manually edit entries every time they change. Get the cable and Win96. Win96 will also work with radioreference.com, so you can use the listings here to initially program your scanner; once you have your banks programmed, then you can go mess around with your text tags, talkgroups, etc. to your heart's content..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Another thing; many new folks think that a single talkgroup can be associated with a frequency. While things like a fire dispatch or patch to a helo can indeed be associated with a frequency, in most other cases they are not. We have an excellent group of articles in our wiki devoted to understanding trunking, and this will be very important in understanding how (and why) a system is to be programmed. The link is:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking

Read the first links on the basics, and the article linked on the Uniden website. Anything in the wiki that is underlined (or blue) is a link.

73 Mike

porschenut

4/27/08
This is to:
HILL, SPLEEN, and Ka3jjz.....
Thank you for your replies to my question. Because I could not find them before, I posted the same question again. Sorry!

Porschenut

Status
Not open for further replies.