• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-2180 MDC help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrench1

I have a couple of TK-2180's and I am trying to get MDC to work but I get get it to show up in the drop down menu. I have KPG-89D V1.6 the latest firm ware that I have is TK-x180k_v1.22_firmware_035C.HEX is there a newer firmware that i need?

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
Nope 1.22 is the latest. 1.60 is the latest KPG-89D that I have for mine. When you go into the software select Model then click on model information from the Menu and the drop down box should pop up, under signaling you should have either Fleetsync or MDC1200 selectable. You can either do Fleetsync or MDC1200 not both.

Wrench1

I did that. I checked MDC in the model menu then programmed the radio. Then when I read the radio and try to set up MDC in the opt sig menu it just gives me the normal options and no option for MDC. Is the 035C the correct sum? I should also note that when I read the radio that the MDC option still is shown in the model info.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
You ARE set up for MDC by your firmware and FPU versions and it looks like you have programmed the portable for MDC. Now let me release a little air from your balloon. This is not a full featured option as in fleetsync (which Kenwood would like you to use anyway).

Yes you can encode a PTT ID, emergency, and radio stun in MDC-1200. you can also receive PTT IDs, emergencies and yes have your radio stunned. What you cannot do is selective call. This is why it does not show in the OPT SIGNALING pull down (which is for receive muting only). Kenwood is flexing its muscles and wants you to use their proprietary format, not the other guys.

Wrench1

So the only way to get full MDC is to send the radio to kenwood? like with the tatical option or is the update running around in the wild?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
With the firmware upgrade you gets what you get and I doubt sending the radios to Kenwood will result in anything better.

Now getting a full feature MDC-1200 firmware blown into your radio would not be impossible, however if you have $$$ thousands $$$ to spend on custom firmware I would sure like to be your buddy.

What features are you looking to put into your portables?

Wrench1

I thought that I read that once you enable MDC that it would then show up in the channel optional sig drop down menu

Status
Not open for further replies.