• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tk-270 dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm not getting anything when I turn on my old radio. I can't reset it or do anything with the software. Is there something else I can do to get this radio working again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WX5JCH

Banned
Nothing when I turn it on no display or beeps at all. Is there something internal I can check before I have to ship it to the repair shop?

Av8tor56

First of all, check the battery. Fully charged it should be around 7.2 volts DC. Then check the contacts on the radio. I've seen where the negative contact has broken loose. If none of those appear to be the problem then it'll need to go in. It may have the internal fuse blown. Or worse.
By the way... is it a TK-270 or a 270G? If it's a 270 you may not want to invest too much money in it as it's not narrow band capable.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
If none of those appear to be the problem then it'll need to go in. It may have the internal fuse blown.

I've seen screws come loose inside and shorting, which blows the internal fuse. Do you hear any slight rattles when you shake it?

WX9EMS

If you are getting nothing out of the radio and the battery is up to snuff...it is likely that the internal fuse is blown. I have a 370G that the RF module shorted and blew the fuse, I replaced the brick and fuse...back in business.

WX5JCH

Banned
It sounds like the fuse is blown. Batteries are all ok, can I replaced the fuse myself or do I have to ship it to the radio shop? Anyone done it before?
Thanks

WX9EMS

It all depends if you are comfortable doing it or not. The fuse itself is SMD, care needs to be taken there, and need to de-solder/re-solder ant connector from board. Other than that, disassembly is pretty straight forward, but we need to know, is it a G series or not. There may be differences in schematics and layouts; the info that is given may be incorrect.

WX5JCH

Banned
Sorry, it's just a plain 270 no G in it. I like it because it has 32 channels, they are never going to do narrowbanding out here, in spite of the FCC. I would like to continue using it as my backup radio. I have a Motorola EX-600 I use daily at work.
Jim

WX9EMS

Ok, I have a service manual for the TK-260G/270G, shoot me a PM with an email addy and I will send it to you and you can make the call if it will work or not, it does have a page on disassembly that looks right on target. They should be close, but how close, I have no idea. Your mileage may vary.

WX5JCH

Banned
You can send it to: my call sign @gmail.com - its the same as my new username. ;)
Thanks
Jim

WX5JCH

Banned
Thanks I'll see if my soldering skills are still there :)

WX9EMS

Unfortunately ramal, I do not. I thought I did....that is what I get for thinking. The rest of the line that you quote was derived, brings up the notion that it may not work. That manual is of the variety that can be found on Ebay...no digital copies seem to exist out there. If he opens it up and sees that things are completely different, I would hope he goes no further. It is just blind faith that the OP would exercise good judgement, which I am sure he would.

Status
Not open for further replies.