• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-280 and KPG-49D

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave4

Hi
I bought a TK-280 (key pad model, 146-174MHz) and a aftermarket programming cable. KPG-49D is running version 4.02. I like to program the TK-280 in the 145MHz range. When I read or write to the tk-280 I get the error message: please check radio type. The LCD shows "PROGRAM". I tried every combination - but no success.... any idea?
The radio seams to be from the Belgian police (I'm not sure). Could it be the radio is locked - so no programming is possible?
Thanks for infos

Dave4

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

When you program the radio do you have the radio type set to vhf, conventional, full keypad?

dave4

I took the follwing settings:
Model Type: TK-280 [Portable] (Key Pad Model)
Frequency: 146-174MHz (K3)
Radio Format: Conventional Format
Option Board: none

The info inside the radio (backside in the battery part):
Kenwood TK-280
VHF FM TRANSCEIVER -1

I think it's not very important but there is an adhesive label: TRPD0328

Or do Ihave a wrong FPU-version?

Dave4

Last edited:

dave4

I tried both without success: win7 and winXP.
There is another strange thing: when I connect the cable at a COM connector Iget the error: please check all connection and communication port settings. When I connect the cable to an USB-RS232 converter then I haven't this error....
Does maybe the cable not properly work? Is there any possibility to check the cable?

David

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
Is this a "K" (USA/NA) market radio? If so there should be an FCC label on the back of the radio. If not then the correct FPU will be needed. The FPU is talking to the radio if it is showing "program" in the display, but for some reason it is not communicating past that point.

Are you able to check the firmware revision, if so post the checksum.

Also when it does show "program" in the display you will need to reset the radio before your next read/write attempt.

Jim

dave4

Hi Jim
Thanks for the answer. I think it's not a "K" model. There is no a FCC label it's a CE lable. The firmware seams to be V1.08 and teh checksum is 5FE4.
How I can reset the radio while showing "PROGRAM"? Thank you for your answer.

David

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
Hi Jim
Thanks for the answer. I think it's not a "K" model. There is no a FCC label it's a CE lable. The firmware seams to be V1.08 and teh checksum is 5FE4.
How I can reset the radio while showing "PROGRAM"? Thank you for your answer.

David

It is probably a 5 tone unit then, and you will need another FPU for it. IIRC it is KPG60D.

To reset it just power it off/on.

Jim

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Mt tk-280 and 380 just power cycles after programming On its own.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Ah, I have never seen that, probably due to my radios not failing to program

dave4

Halle everybody
Good news: the problem is solved!
There were 2 points:
1) program software: KPG-60D is the corect version (european model)
2) connecting the radio: the serial (com1/2/3...) didn't work - why? It's not clear. I tried it on 2 computers. The solution was the serial cable and a usb converter. I had to configure the virtual port in the range 1-4 because KPG-60D knows only (in version 2.0) com1-4.
Now it works! Many thanks for all the infos.
Merry christmas and a happy new year.

David

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Glad tro heae things are working!

Status
Not open for further replies.