• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-280 Audio Finagling

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJLofgren

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a TK-280 soon, but had a technical question about it. I'd like to hook it up to my computer to be able to both record the audio output as well as send it audio input. I noticed that there is a connector with a serial port, but I don't know if it's possible to use that or not. Does anyone know?

If not (or even if it is), do you all have any recommendations for a radio (Kenwood or other) that lends itself easily to this sort of finagling?

Thanks!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The accessory connector on the side of the radio has both receive output and mic input.

First the mic. You can send audio to the radio from your computer sound card via the mic input but it will be wayyyyy too much. The 280 wants only about 10 mV to drive the mic circuit but a sound card will put out 10 times that or more so you will have to pad this level down to keep from overdriving the input and causing major distortion and clipping.

Next the receive is speaker output and the setting of the volume control will affect what the level into your sound card is. This can go from nothing to way too much for the sound card depending on where the knob is set. Also there is a DC voltage on the speaker lines and the sound card may twist off on this at a minimum to blowing your audio amp in the radio at the worst. The best solution is to crack the portable open and pick off the receive audio at an option point which is around line level, is unaffected by the volume control and has no DC voltage on it.

What are you trying to haywire up anyway?

EJLofgren

Thanks for the reply, Ramal!

I'm doing some research on the security of analog scramblers and was looking at connecting them up to a computer either through a radio like the TK-280 or on their own. I know a fair bit about cryptography and security, but not too much about radios (gotta start somewhere).

EJLofgren

As a follow up, I talked to an electrical engineer buddy of mine and will just be connecting the boards directly to the computer. Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.