• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-3140 LTR Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

This is a follow-up from my previous thread in the Kenwood forum. Well, I was able to get a nice Kenwood TK-3140 on eBay. I also got a programming cable and the KPG-74D software. The radio has a read password, but writes just fine. The only thing is, I'm trying to program my work's LTR system into it, but I have not a clue on how to do it. Can someone help me? Thank you!

EDIT: I was able to clear out the read password using the software.

CVC

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
First off, to program a LTR system, you will need the frequencies of all the repeaters in the system plus the LCN (the correct slot number the repeaters are assigned to). In addition you'll need the area code of the system, the home channel, and all the group IDs that your company uses. Do you have all this information?

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Thats good. The RR database will list the repeater freqs and three numbers like 0-04-33 for the group you'd like to use. The first number is the area code(0), the second is the home channel (04), and the third is the group ID (33).

Now go to your programming software. The initial window is "system information". Pick one and set the mode to "trunking". With that trunking system still highlighted, click on "sys edit". That brings up the "system edit" window. Now click on "repeater". Using the info you gleened from the database, enter the repeater receive and transmit freqs in their proper slots (1 to 20). Leave shift and tel as no. Now go to the top and use the first number to set your area code and the second number to set your home repeater. Close that window. Back in system edit, use the third number as both your EncID and DecID. Give it a name. Default call=no, power=high, transpond=no, grp l out=no, opt sig=none, ta=no are all good, leave 'em be.

Now write to the radio. You should be up and running on that trunked channel. There are other parameters that affect trunked channels and you should take time to read the help files and see if you want to change anything.

Good luck...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.