• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-3140 or TK-3180

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guard0910

Looking for some input on radio models, +/-, and what would you buy? These radios wil be used in the fire service so we are looking for a decent radio that will hold up. Thanks ahead of time to all that reply.

Jeff

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
Most Definitely the TK3180 over the 3140. Reasons being: 450-512 mhz split on TK3180, MDC-1200 on TK3180 and Intrinsically safe version on TK3180 if you are using it for Firefighting like you state that's important, and Tactical feature set on TK3180 allows you to make an interop group on the fly. TK2140/3140 are more like business type radios, I have seen them used for firefighting. I would not recommend the TK3140 series for Firefighting. Another drawback with the TK3140 is size, too small for firefighters with gloves on to effectively use. TK3180 is similar in size to the latest Firefighters favorite by Motorola, The HT1250. However it blows the HT1250 away audio and durability wise, and will also receive MDC-1200 Emergency alerts meaning if someone hits the orange emergency button on the fireground it will show up on your other TK3180s. Motorolas HT1250 cannot even do that.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Continuing...
Not listed in sales splash for TK2180/3180 is the tactical feature set (TFS) option.

Provides user to make a personal zone that contains channels from any other zone. For instance, copy a command channel, throw in a tac channel or two, maybe the drive thru at Mickey D's. When you enter the tactical zone, that's all that will be in there. You can set scan for just that zone also. Can't find the channel you need to put into your tactical zone? Find the comm geek, get the info, and program yourself (if you have the full keypad version). Fully field programmable (without a dongle or swiss army knife like those Burger King Radios).

Calif Dept of Forestry and USFS have multiple repeaters (same freq) with different tones for access (don't know what's out there in NY). You can stay on a single channel and cycle through the PL tones for access with a single button, and the tone numbers show on the display as you select.

Another thing I like, does two tone decode AND encode. Program the stations' two tone code into the radio. Transmit the code and set off the stations' ringdown. Hilarious! (Especially at night).

Works just like a Kenwood TK-790 CDF or roughly a BK GPH-CMD radio, if you know those...

Last edited:

bhamfd19

thats how i have my 2180 set up with differnt zones when we go to mutual aid towns, i can scan there tactical channels. saves space so i dont have to carry two radios.

N2AL

Is the TK-3180 field programmable?

If so, how do you access the field program setting?

Nasby

Can anyone recommend a good source for a TK-2180 with the full keypad and tactical feature set? Also, what's an approximate cost for one of these radios?
Thx in advance.

Nasby

That's a real joke. Shows the nearest dealer is nearly 60 miles away from Cleveland, Ohio. And no online sales or dealers. Ha!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I am not privy to all the ins and outs, but the way Kenwood marketing is structured you will find very few if any dealers selling online. That's just the way it is. The landline is your best friend, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.