• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-3160 KPG-82 way to bypass read/write password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Group,
I am very familiar with Motorola radios. But, I am not very familiar with Kenwood units. Is there a way to bypass a Read/Write password on a TK-3160? I have a customer who left there radio dealer and now is locked out of their radios (customer owns radios, this is not EBAY or some other questionable source). Thank you, TT.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Have your customer take the radios back to the original shop to have them remove the read/write password and wipe the radio.

If the radios were running on a radio shop owned repeater, I can understand the r/w password to keep customer from adding their own radios to the system and using it for free. If the customer has their own system, then this sort of behavior is questionable. It's sort of along the lines of me taking my truck to a mechanic, and that mechanic putting a lock on the hood so no one else can ever work on it. If the radio belongs to your customer, have them take it back and have the r/w password removed.

Kenwood factory repair can do it for you, also. There is apparently a way you can set up the software in "factory" mode that will bypass this, but I don't have the info on that.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Kenwood will only provide the password recovery to the selling dealer or to you with proof of purchase. Yes, when KPG is installed with a "dealer" key it unlocks hidden menus that allow one to remove the password.

What mmckenna said is correct, the sleazy dealer who password protected YOUR radio (ASSuming it is fully paid for and lawfully yours) owes you the password or will have to pay to have it removed.

Of course if that shop it out of business, you are out of luck unless you can find someone with the KPG dealer key to help you out.

ALWAYS instruct a dealer IN WRITING on your service ticket not to password protect YOUR radio. If they refuse, go elsewhere. It is YOUR radio and locking you out is a sleaze bucket move by some turdy dealer who wants to strongarm you into using them everytime you want YOUR radio programmed. Scumbags.

Status
Not open for further replies.