• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-3180 Programming HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the KPG-89D, under the 2-tone section, you know where you can input the Hz and form your own paging alert tones? Well, I have made my alert tones, and set it to cycle 3 times when the paging is activated. So........when the radio alerts, it will only alert for 1 cycle, instead of the 3 that I programmed it for. So anyway, dispatch says what they need to say, and when the transmission ends, it alerts for the full 3 seconds that it was programmed for. I don't have a clue what else to check. Anybody know?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
What??? Under 2 tone section you can only specify what alert tone to play on decode.

Under special alert tone (where you build alert tones), check the help files for cycle and interval. These will explain how the alert tone is delivered...

Sorry, I meant under the Special Alert Tone, not the 2-Tone section. I've looked in the help files and can't find any solution. I'm starting to think you can't change it.

SCPD

QRT
The interval is the time between the repeated alert tones. what you need to set is the cycle to how ever many time you want the alert to repeat. Hope this helps if you can figure it out email me the data file and i can do it for you. cspears@epcmedical.org.

-Conner

Thanks. I know where you're talking about, but I'm trying to program it to where it will alert for like, 3 or 4 cycles with "0 ms" interval time, so it becomes 4 cycles into one long cycle. So far, I haven't been able to. Regardless of what I set the "cycles" to, it only alerts one cycle, then whent he dispatch tx is finished, it will alert the remaining alerts. Surely it isn't supposed to be this way.

Another question, my old HT1250 would start alerting in the middle of the dispatch tones, so when the tones stopped, the alert stopped and the voice would be audible. The 3180 starts alerting when the tones are completely finished, then when the tones are stopped, the voice has already started. Any way to make it alert sooner during the tones?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
So I had to program my 3180 to see what goes on here.

After the two tone page (and you're right, the alert tone holds off until page is finished) the alert tone goes off once. As long as there is carrier on the channel, any further alerts are are disabled. When carrier drops, alerts continue for amount of cycles programmed with the interval time between them. Whenever carrier comes up on channel, the alerts are disabled. This prevents the tones from going out over voice announcements.

If you want the alert to repeat in the same cycle, you'll have to add it in the sequence. For example, I made 4 tones, 800, 1000,1200, and 1400Hz with a duration of 50ms each. Since there are 16 tone slots, I can make these tones go 4 times. This is the only way I can see to do this.

There is always some delay between the two tone page and when the dispatcher make the voice announcement. You should build an alert tone that is noticeable, but not so long that it runs into the voice on that first go around.

Don't see anyway for the first alert to go out earlier. That process is hard written in firmware.

Last edited:
LOL Thanks man. I kept messing around with it and I think I have a suitable alert tone that doesn't quite cover anything up. I think this is my only complaint with the 3180. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.