• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenix6372

I have come into 3 handsets, 2 are TK-3200s (8 channel models) and one is a TK-3200L (15 channel model.) Whenever I tune any of the handsets to a channel above 3, all it does is put out a tone and flash the LED red/orange over and over. Also, I have noticed that I can't do any of the programming described in the manual that require you to hold buttons while you turn it on. When I try, it just acts like normal, power on beep and then nothing. It should flash the LED after a couple of seconds and announce things depending on what I am trying to do.

On the TK-3200L I was able to get it to do something with the reset-to-default where you hold all 3 buttons while powering on, but I didn't have the volume up high enough to hear what it said, and now it won't reset again; I can't change buttons, reprogram frequencies, or anything else. It's like that on all the handsets (well I say all, but one of the TK-3200s had a dead battery and is in the process of charging, but I am assuming it's going to be trouble like the other two.)

Does anyone know why the handsets are behaving this way? If I didn't give enough information, just let me know and I'll do what I can to give you what you need.

Oh by the way they do transmit on the 3 channels I can get to, and they sound pretty good too!

Thanks for any help you can give!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Well it looks like you are trying to program via the buttons and do not have the program software to access the radio from a PC.

If the radios were previously programmed by PC, there is an option to disable the self programming mode. Sounds like this was done and is preventing you from user programming as stated in the manual. The only way to re-enable this function would be through the FPU software.

Fenix6372

Hmm, that's not good news... Would that option even disable the ability to reset to factory default?

If that's the case, does anyone know where I can get the software without paying 100-150 bucks for it? I'm not a business, these radios would actually be used by a non-profit organization working with the local fire department. We're not allowed to use the city radios, so these would be great for on-scene communications between our teams. I doubt they want to shell out for the programming software, budget is tight enough as is.

Thanks for the info, even if it isn't exactly what I wanted to hear. Do you know if there might be some way to reset them to factory default if I can take them apart and get to the circuit board? Shorting some jumpers or something maybe?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Don't know any way to hard reset radios. Software programming trumps user programming. You could go after the eeprom with a cattle prod (just kidding). Wouldn't pay the $$ for software, but you would need to find someone with FPU that can check and re-enable self program feature. After that you are gold. Dealers will charge, any friends (or enemies) you know that could help you with a quick one?

JBech

Having the same problems Hopefully you figured out a work around
JBech

Mat2727

Tk-3200l

I just bought 2 Kenwood TK-3200L radios, 15 channels. Does anyone know what software is needed to program these?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.