• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-3360-K

Status
Not open for further replies.

100pcttn

Ok, i must be having a dumb moment or else I've stumbled onto a problem I created for myself 8 years ago when I bought this batch. Dealing with some complaints from one department that some of the older radios "won't communicate with the newer ones" that I've sent them. They sent me 3 TK-3360's back. After checking and trying to program them correctly using my KPG-128 software, it appears they don't have the option to transmit QT/DQT tones, or else I'm going blind and not seeing the proper checkbox to enable! Only 2 "signalling type" options I see are Fleetsync or MDC-1200 as shown below. I can monitor the radio transmission on others, but only if i manually open up the squelch on that radio. Oddly though, these 3 will open up and receive a transmission from other radios using the same frequency and tone. Makes me think they are reading the tone, but not sending the tone.

Any help appreciated as always. Thanks.

1643291224782.png

N5XPM

Ok, i must be having a dumb moment or else I've stumbled onto a problem I created for myself 8 years ago when I bought this batch. Dealing with some complaints from one department that some of the older radios "won't communicate with the newer ones" that I've sent them. They sent me 3 TK-3360's back. After checking and trying to program them correctly using my KPG-128 software, it appears they don't have the option to transmit QT/DQT tones, or else I'm going blind and not seeing the proper checkbox to enable! Only 2 "signalling type" options I see are Fleetsync or MDC-1200 as shown below. I can monitor the radio transmission on others, but only if i manually open up the squelch on that radio. Oddly though, these 3 will open up and receive a transmission from other radios using the same frequency and tone. Makes me think they are reading the tone, but not sending the tone.

Any help appreciated as always. Thanks.

View attachment 115823
You are working on a radio wide setting. Pick MDC 1200 and press OK. Then move over to the frequency setting by individual channel and I think you will locate what you need.

100pcttn

Thanks. I must have done something the last time I cycled thru them and got it. Not sure what, but that's the first time in all these years of Kenwood programming i had encountered not having PL tones on BOTH the incoming and outgoing signal. Not sure how I messed that up! LOL But if one of the admins wants to delete this thread, problem is solved now. Thanks again.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
But if one of the admins wants to delete this thread, problem is solved now.
We don't normally "delete" threads. We do sometimes lock threads so no more posts can be made to the thread.

We will most likely leave this thread as it is. The solution to your "dumb moment" may help someone else in the future.

100pcttn

Ok, probably just as well. I haven't fixed the problem, i got tricked yesterday by a radio with no PL tones in it. So, I'm still unable to transmit these tones on 3 different radios, all of the same model. Makes me believe I have a programming problem or oversight somewhere. Anyone wanna venture a guess on this as to what I'm doing wrong? As you can see, I have my tones in both the ENCODE and DECODE columns....

1643381593267.png

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If these are older radios, they may be in need of alignment. QT and DQT deviation levels can drift and they may need to be adjusted.
This isn't something you can do without a service monitor, so sending them in to a competent radio shop that has the right tools and experience would be in order. You'd have to pay for "bench time", which could be anywhere from $85-$120/hour. Doesn't take long to align a radio, though.

100pcttn

Yeah, that's kinda where my thinking was leading me. I've since found some other radios out here on the plant floor that will communicate with them also, but not the NX-320 on my desk. Thanks again Mr Mmckenna, you've bailed me out before in times past. I have a shop I work with to send them out for repairs that are.... "above my pay grade"! LOL

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, that's kinda where my thinking was leading me. I've since found some other radios out here on the plant floor that will communicate with them also, but not the NX-320 on my desk. Thanks again Mr Mmckenna, you've bailed me out before in times past. I have a shop I work with to send them out for repairs that are.... "above my pay grade"! LOL

OK, happy to help.
If you've had these radios a long time, it's probably good to get them aligned periodically. They do drift as components age, and as they get knocked around. The bench time can look expensive up front, but it can greatly extend the life of the radio if it's in otherwise good shape. I do ours periodically and it sort of freshens them up and makes them work like new.

If it's time to start replacing the radios, the new NX-1300NU are nice. I've got a site using those and they've been happy with them. Nice compact radio.

100pcttn

Yes sir, I probably need to have some of the older ones tested. And knocked around indeed! Some units look like they've been run over by a freight train. Keeps me busy sometimes piecing them back together. I've been using Kenwoods here since 2000. The ole TK-370 & 372's that we first started using seem to just keep clicking along. Still got over 40 of them in active use. I show having 255 total in use as of right now, and of that already got 9 of those 1300's in use, as you can see below. And 12 active versions of software. Not counting the old DOS versions already retired! Thank you again for your help and wisdom. Much appreciated.

Radio TypeRadio ModelCount
KenwoodNX-1300 NU
3​
KenwoodNX-1300 NUK4
6​
KenwoodNX-320
29​
KenwoodNX-340
8​
KenwoodNX-340U
17​
KenwoodNX-340UK2