• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-370

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Good morning,

I was put in contact with an organization that has no idea about the communications equipment they currently own. I was asked to read their radios, and determine what is programmed, and if it lines up with their license.

All well and good. An easy exercise in reading and saving each radio right? Or so I thought.

It turns out that 7 of the 10 portable radios they own are TK-370 and 3 are TK-370(G)-4. I was not aware of this before meeting with the organizations equipment manager

I had no issue reading the TK-370(G) radios(I own a TK-760-HG mobile), but it seems that it is a different version of KPG than what is used for the TK-370's

I will admit I have not looked overly hard for the difference between the two, I believe that the TK-370 is a wideband only, where as the TK-370(g) will also do narrow band

A few things to keep in mind before responding to this thread:

1. I am in Canada, so narrow band is not required, yet.

2. I am NOT under the jurisdiction of the FCC.

3. I have a copy of their license, so I know what they are allowed to have programmed. Regardless, I am not making any changes. Only providing them with a spreadsheet of what each radio is programmed with.

4. The software Police can just pass this thread by.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
2. I am NOT under the jurisdiction of the FCC.

A lot of Americans have a hard time comprehending this….

What I was able to find here: Kenwood Programming Information

is that
TK-370 uses KPG-27D
TK-370G uses KPG-56D

KPG-27D covers the following radio models:
TK-260/360/ 278/378/270/370/272/372/388

KPG-56D covers the following radio models:
TK-260G/360G/278G/378G/388G/270G/370G
TK-768G/868G/762G/862G/760G/860G/272G/372G

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
A lot of Americans have a hard time comprehending this….

Yea, I wanted to stop the 'you can't use wideband' and 'What's your FCC licence' BS before it started. Looks like it worked, as I got a competent reply only.

I figured it would be you or ramal that replied with the correct information I was seeking.

Thank you again mmckenna, your wisdom is appreciated

What I was able to find here: Kenwood Programming Information

is that
TK-370 uses KPG-27D
TK-370G uses KPG-56D

KPG-27D covers the following radio models:
TK-260/360/ 278/378/270/370/272/372/388

KPG-56D covers the following radio models:
TK-260G/360G/278G/378G/388G/270G/370G
TK-768G/868G/762G/862G/760G/860G/272G/372G

Yea, after I made the OP, that was the same info I found.

Looks like the TK-370 is a DOS software radio only... Time to breakout the old Tough Book, Now I just need to find a serial cable to use, because all I have are USB cables.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Happy to help.

I did check with Kenwood and they don't have have KPG-27d or KPG-56 on dealer tools any more. I'm sure they are out there, though.

Good luck!
I'm not surprised it is not available from Kenwood. These are pretty old portables. While I would like to see them get more TK-370G portables, they are in need of 403-430MHz version, which is going to be as hard to find as the pot of gold at thr end of the rainbow.

Alot of that software is in the wild, so I'm sure i will find it eventually. Heck I may even find some one locally that has it.

Again, thanks a bunch. Its great having a couple Kenwood guru's here for help

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
CA$65... For DOS software???

Thank you for the link. It may be the last resort for long discontinued DOS software for that price. I have a couple of local contacts that may still use that software. I just hope I don't have to buy a serial cable.

There are lots of TK-270 in use around here still, because we have not been forced to narrowband yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.