• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-5210 and KNB-43L problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewayde

Premium Subscriber
I have a TK-5210 Ver1 and a TK 5210 Ver2, I have two KNB-43L batterys and a few KNB-32n's.
I recieved the TK-5210 Ver1 today (used eBay) and I put a charged KNB-43l to the radio after programing and testing RX/TX with a KNB-32. When I keyed the Ver 1 with the 43L battery everything is fine for 6 seconds then the batery meter falls and the radio powers off.

After trying it on the 5210 ver 1 I put the 43L on a TK-2180 where it now does the same thing. So I put it on charge and tried again, same thing happens.

So back to KNB-32.

Well i figured a BAD 43L battery. So i put my other 43L which was on my other 5210 Ver2 which was fine until i put it on the Ver 1 and now it is doing the same thing.

What is wrong, It it a battery or radio issue? I now Have two fully charged KNB-43l batterys that wont TX for more than 6seconds.

I have tried the now bad batterys on all three radios and the same happens.

both knb-43l's are around six months old...

rdalrt

Premium Subscriber
Wondering if you ever found a solution to this. I am having the same problem with the knb-43l batteries on my tk-2180 radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There can be a number of variables causing this.
Since you are in Saskatoon, are you using these outside, charging outside, or somewhere else where it's really cold? Temperature impacts the batteries. Also, the chargers will not charge the batteries below a certain temperature.
How old are the batteries?

I've got a few hundred KNB-43l's here at work that have been running for 3 years now and I'm not having any issues with them. I've got a few that are 4+ years old that are starting to slow down, but still useable.

rdalrt

Premium Subscriber
Hi, thanks for the reply.

No, these batteries are not/have not been used outside since they have exhibited this problem on these radios since day one. Hence, they are pretty much unused.

jim202

Do you have a second charger to put the batteries into?

Your playing musical chairs here and need something that works to use as a starting point. Either another good battery, a second charger or a third radio with a good battery.

rdalrt

Premium Subscriber
Using a KSC-32.

I have many other good batteries and working radios. These two batteries are the only ones exhibiting this behaviour no matter which radio they are used in. And they are the only two knb-43l batteries I have.

The only other chargers I have are also ksc-32's.

slowjoe6969

When the radio shuts off, does it just reset, or do you have to physically shut turn power off and back on to get the radio back on?

Are you sure none of these radios you are using are IS rated? Kenwood doesn't list this battery for use with either the 2180, or 5210. I assume your both using 43l battery because of the 3300mah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Are you sure none of these radios you are using are IS rated? Kenwood doesn't list this battery for use with either the 2180, or 5210. I assume your both using 43l battery because of the 3300mah.

These do work with those radios, I'm using them on NX-410's, NX-210's and TK-5210's. The NX-x10 radios are the same chassis as the 2180/3180.

I'm wondering if they are just bad. Seems strange that two would fail like this. Makes me wonder if they got stuffed in the wrong charger. KSC-32 is the right one, it's a tri-chemistry charger and I've been using them on these batteries without issue.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So, something that would be interesting to try....

If you have a multi-meter, check the voltage on the pins, both the part that contacts the radio and the part that contacts the charger. What voltage do you see on each?

slowjoe6969

I understand that they are from the same chassis, sounds like a current limiting issue with the battery itself. Some Kenwood IS batteries it is internal to the battery some it isn't. Since Kenwood doesn't keep service information on the dealer market for the batteries it is tough to know for sure without asking. but the odd thing is the batteries exhibit the same problem on the original radios.

Or is it possible you have an intrinsically safe portable? Some Radios the current limiting to meet CSA is internal to the battery, some it is internal to the radio. NX410ABP2 on LTR trunking acquisition tone set to high, and speaker mic attached with KNB-41NC I have pushed it to 4 watts output (Not recommend done as a test), put the KNB-66LC on the same radio you can not push the radio above 1.5/1.75 watts. the radio does react different when on the test set in Talkaround than actually connecting to an LTR system.

But Rdarlt your local Kenwood shop in Saskatoon can test them for you on there analyzer. they do charge a small fee, or if you bought them within the last year you should have warranty on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.