• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tk-5210 antenna problem

fire1429

The treads on the inside of the connection for the antenna on the radio seem to be gone. Any ideas on how to fix the problem? The antenna don’t screw on it just twists round n round.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The treads on the inside of the connection for the antenna on the radio seem to be gone. Any ideas on how to fix the problem? The antenna don’t screw on it just twists round n round.

I had two NX-410's do this in the last couple of months.

First one just needed a new antenna. It was a 10+ year old radio, and I think the user had been twisting the antenna. I put a brand new Kenwood antenna on it and it was fine.

Second one had the internal threads on the antenna jack stripped out. Again, I think the user twisting at it wore it out.
The replacement antenna jack is $12 bucks or so, and not horribly hard to replace. If this is a hobby radio and you know how to solder, it's something you could attempt. If it's a work radio, let a shop do it, especially if it is an IS rated radio.

fire1429

Y’all are the best ….. I ordered the part today and I was also able to take the current one out of the radio. Super easy job by the way, or I spoke to soon since i haven’t actually replaced it yet.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
The harder part is sometimes the disassembly. The other day, after the usual case screws and knobs, I counted 22 screws on 2 boards and three flex connectors to get to the (commonly-replaced) volume control on a TK-31something! I think that was the era when Kenwood engineers were trying to emulate Astro. :)

fire1429

The harder part is sometimes the disassembly. The other day, after the usual case screws and knobs, I counted 22 screws on 2 boards and three flex connectors to get to the (commonly-replaced) volume control on a TK-31something! I think that was the era when Kenwood engineers were trying to emulate Astro. :)
So glad the 5210 didn’t have that many screws. I honestly haven’t taken apart any radio and had the part out in about 15 min. Good thing it wasn’t an Astro era radio.