• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-5210 front panel display plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Both of my TK-5210's have cracked front display plastic. I've been wanting to disassemble the radios and replace the plastic with something that I can get locally. I doubt the original replacement is available, and I assume you had to purchase the whole front panel assy. anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can use to replace it? It looks like the internal screws must be too tight putting stress on the front casing, as it is cracked also right in line with the split on the display plastic.
Thanks all and Merry Christmas!
Bob

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Hard to tell but the main cabinet seems to hold the plastic lense it self...

Screenshot_20221225_143718_Dropbox.jpgScreenshot_20221225_143651_Dropbox.jpg

So which do you have? K2 or k3?

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
After dis-assembling the unit (K2 version) to get inside the front cabinet, it looks like the plastic display protector is glued in to the front case pretty darn good. I'm not even sure if it is removable with heat or anything. Obviously I would have to remove the speaker / mic assy. and keypad button assy. to prevent any damage to them.
I wonder if anyone has attempted this replacement due to the probability that the case assy. is no longer available.
Bob

Last edited:

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
According to my latest download of the parts list, the cases are available,
Std key 43.00 a02-3877-11
Dtmf 59.00 a02-3879-11

And yes, the lense is part of the case.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
According to my latest download of the parts list, the cases are available,
Std key 43.00 a02-3877-11
Dtmf 59.00 a02-3879-11

And yes, the lense is part of the case.
Thank You very much. Worse case I have that to go to if I botch up the removal.
Thank You for all your help
BTW, I noticed the radio with the std key (4 buttons) has a PC board that has all of the buttons available. It looks like it is possible to exchange the case to a DTMF version and get the 16 key keyboard insert. I imagine a firmware adjustment would be needed also. Interesting.
Bob

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
IF..... i remember correctly, you go to key assignment and say it has full keypad?
I dont have 95 loaded on this PC, so I have to let someone else chime in.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
IF..... i remember correctly, you go to key assignment and say it has full keypad?
I dont have 95 loaded on this PC, so I have to let someone else chime in.
That is correct. Have done some case swaps and that's all that's needed, same as the 180s.

Just FYI, the backlight LEDs are not present so the bottom half will be dark. The button logic is still there.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
That is correct. Have done some case swaps and that's all that's needed, same as the 180s.

Just FYI, the backlight LEDs are not present so the bottom half will be dark. The button logic is still there.
Thanks for the great info John and Evans. So if I am going to re-case my 3 radios, I may as well go with the full keyboard cases and get the 16 button rubber keyboards too. I'll have to make my own custom Kenwood stickers though. :)
I don't want to hijack my own thread, per se, but I always wondered if there is a way to force the back lights to stay on permanent. I am operating one radio on a home power supply so there would be no battery drain concerns. Judging by the schematic, when a button is pressed it enables an output from IC701 ect...but I don't want to make any crazy mods to the circuit. But as far as I can see, there are no commands to send to the micro to have permanent illumination of the LED's.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I don't know how often PacParts updates pricing, but be aware there have been some substantial price increases on case parts recently.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
I don't know how often PacParts updates pricing, but be aware there have been some substantial price increases on case parts recently.
Yes I saw that, thank You. These are just hobby radios so it isn't imperative that I make them look pretty. I am going to try to replace the "glass" on one if them first. If all fails, I can still get a replacement. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.