• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-5210 K3 Version 3 Programming Problem

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
I have a TK-5210G K3 Version 3 that will not read or write with the KPG-95DG CPS. The software says to check the radio model and version. My radio is on firmware G6.12 and CPS version 7.01. I have verified the radio model and version on the back of the radio and the CPS did pull the transceiver info so that I could verify it. Has anyone else had this issue or know how to solve it? Thanks.

Attachments

• FE590037-B13E-4EEF-9DF6-E9B58AD9A606.jpeg
    FE590037-B13E-4EEF-9DF6-E9B58AD9A606.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 41

Otto

I have a TK-5210G K3 Version 3 that will not read or write with the KPG-95DG CPS. The software says to check the radio model and version. My radio is on firmware G6.12 and CPS version 7.01. I have verified the radio model and version on the back of the radio and the CPS did pull the transceiver info so that I could verify it. Has anyone else had this issue or know how to solve it? Thanks.
I had this same problem using KPG-95DG. Once I bought KPG-95DGN the problem went away and I was able to program the radio.

KG4Y

Premium Subscriber
If any of you are still paying attention to this thread - I am having a similar problem with the mobile model TK-5810H(G) K2 hardware version 3. The problem with using KPG-95DGN instead of KPG-95DG is that 'DGN restricts channel bandwidth to narrowband maximum deviation (2.5 kHz) on a channel to comply with FCC mandates applicable to Part 90 services (i.e. land mobile radio, first responder radios, etc.) that went into effect a decade ago.

Presumably, you are using the TK-5210 for either Amateur (Part 97) and GMRS (Part 95) Services (or both), which still use wideband maximum deviation (5 kHz). If you use that equipment frequently enough, have others told you that your 'audio is weak' or that you need to talk closer to the microphone, or some other indications that you are not at the same volume level others are on those systems?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Presumably, you are using the TK-5210 for either Amateur (Part 97) and GMRS (Part 95) Services (or both), which still use wideband maximum deviation (5 kHz). If you use that equipment frequently enough, have others told you that your 'audio is weak' or that you need to talk closer to the microphone, or some other indications that you are not at the same volume level others are on those systems?

2.5KHz deviation will do that as compared to 5KHz deviation. If you search on the right terms, you'll find lots of people complaining of this issue because they didn't understand the difference.
The other challenge you'll have running narrow on ham or GMRS is that the CTCSS deviation will also be lower than on wide band and it may result in repeaters not being able to decode your CTCSS.

You can certainly try it. It may work well enough for your use.

But as said in the other thread, the wide band license for the software really is the way to go.

KF5AIA

Premium Subscriber
Thread revival. I have a recently purchased TK-5210 (not a G) K3 Hardware version 3. (Software KPG-95DG) product information matches my version but I still get the dreaded "Check the transceiver model name etc. message) I want to use it narrowband for CAP etc but I want to be able to program Marine channels/2m in wideband as well. Is my only option to use software KPG-95DGN and live with narrowband across the board? Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thread revival. I have a recently purchased TK-5210 (not a G) K3 Hardware version 3. (Software KPG-95DG) product information matches my version but I still get the dreaded "Check the transceiver model name etc. message) I want to use it narrowband for CAP etc but I want to be able to program Marine channels/2m in wideband as well. Is my only option to use software KPG-95DGN and live with narrowband across the board? Thanks

Software version will depend on what firmware the radio has. Check the firmware in the radio by turning the radio off, hold the Side 1 key and PTT while turning the radio on.

Depending on the firmware/software, you may need to add the wide band key to the software. That'll need to come from Kenwood.

Even with a radio that has narrowband firmware, you can still run wide band below 150MHz. To run wide on marine VHF, you'll need the wide band capability.

KF5AIA

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information. KPG-95DGN seems to be the one. Unfortunately, it appears now that the P25 conventional option is no longer available and is grayed out in this version. That was a big reason I bought this radio.

KF5AIA

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information. KPG-95DGN seems to be the one. Unfortunately, it appears now that the P25 conventional option is no longer available and is grayed out in this version. That was a big reason I bought this radio.
I went ahead and reloaded the software and downloaded the current empty profile from the radio and it lets me see P25 now. I loaded 68 personalities in system 1 zone 1 and I can channel select the first 16 but haven't figured out how to access the rest. Do I need to switch zones to see them? Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I went ahead and reloaded the software and downloaded the current empty profile from the radio and it lets me see P25 now. I loaded 68 personalities in system 1 zone 1 and I can channel select the first 16 but haven't figured out how to access the rest. Do I need to switch zones to see them? Thanks

Setting up additional zones with 16 channels each is the common way to do this.

There is a way to let the channel knob roll over and keep selecting channels, but I forget the exact location of that setting. Probably in the key setting tab.

KF5AIA

Premium Subscriber
It’s funny but when I read from the radio through the software it came back as a TK-5210 G after all. Certainly didn’t indicate that when I looked at the battery compartment data plate. Now I’m on a quest for the port cover that I noticed from a closed 2022 thread can be harder to obtain than you would expect. I ordered from pacparts about a week ago. We’ll see I guess. Doing a search online seems to indicate to me there are multitude of different port cover versions across the Kenwood universe and determining radio compatibility outside of having it in hand is difficult in its own right.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The TK-5x10 series accessory port cover part number is B09-0682-13
You'll need a 3mm x 0.5tpi screw. Kenwood part number is N08-0531-14, or you can just go to a decent hardware store and get what you need.

Kenwood 14 pin accessory connectors are common across their high tier line. The lack of standardization of the port cover is an annoyance.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I ordered from pacparts about a week ago.

I ordered parts from PacParts and got them in around three weeks time. Ordered the TK-5210 port covers and screws, plus other parts for my other Kenwood radios. Most of the items have to wait for the items to be in stock. You can have them ship whats in stock or wait unitl the order is complete, prior to shipping. Ordered at the end of January and got them late this week.

If was just port cover and screws the lead time would have been much shorter with them getting into stock quicker. I the end was just waiting for one part before shipping.

KF5AIA

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again for the help. Work keeps getting in the way of playing with my radio. :)As I understand it the programming is hierarchical with a System as top followed by Zones and individual personalities/channels(up to 16) within each zone. My first attempt I did System 1 and I loaded 68 personalities in Zone 1. (I'm still confused why it let me put so many personalities in the same zone) Is there a way to add a Zone 2, Zone 3 etc and move some of those personalities to a new zone as needed? I did figure out where to program buttons to zone up or down.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
(I'm still confused why it let me put so many personalities in the same zone)

It'll allow up to 250 personalities per zone. Keep in mind that is is possible to program the channel up/down to other buttons than the 16 channel selector on the top of the radio. Some users choose to set their radio up to use the up/down keys to select channels, so the 16 selector limitation isn't an issue.

If you want to add more zones, go into the "Zone/Channel Parameter" window and click the "Add" button on the bottom left. Add as many zones as you need so you can fit all the channels you need into 16 positions per zone.

Make sure you program a zone selector key. I usually used the UP/DOWN keys as my zone selector.

KF5AIA

Premium Subscriber
I'm finally figuring it out. I'm using the knob for Zone and C and D keys for channels. One advantage I've found is the Cand D keys can scroll through the channels pretty quick if needed. Just hold it down. YMMV

hill

Premium Subscriber
C and D keys for channel

I always use the top selector for channels on all radios, as can live with 16 channels per zone. Just use my radios for mainly ham and GMRS, plus a little bit CG AUX and monitoring.

You will find by using the selector for channels it way easier to find channels with a detect for each channel, plus a hard stop at 1 and 16. You can find channel 1 and 16 by the stop and count the clicks to find another channel.

In public safety use they always put they primary or distress channels in 1 or 16, so they can locate them quick during an emergency or during times of low visibility.