• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-5310 - My P25 Digital Transmission Not Being Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEMCERT808

Hi all, I have a Kenwood TK-5310.... When I try to transmit P25 digital from this radio, other (known good) radios do not hear my P25 digital transmissions. However, I'm able to hear P25 transmissions on my radio. Also in analog mode, I'm able to transmit fine without any problems and other radios are able to hear me in analog mode. I've checked to ensure that the TX and RX NAC's are the same on all the radios. Any ideas or suggestions?

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Trunked or conventional?

DEMCERT808

This is all conventional simplex...the test (known good) radios are in my office where I'm trying to work on programming is uncooperative Kenwood. I've got two Motorola P25 portables and one Icom P25 mobile as my conventional simplex test units... The Motorola's and Icom's TX/RX fine with each other in conventional simplex P25. The Kenwood TK-5310 that I have will RX the P25 from these test radios, however when I TX P25 from the Kenwood, non of the test radios unmutes the audio.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Ok, does the busy light/indicator become active on the other radios when you TX on the Kenwood?

DEMCERT808

Yup... all of them do. The busy lights turn on all the other RXing radios, but the audio doesn't unmute. The RSSI indicators also display full strength on the RXing radios. As I keep the P25 TX going on the TK5310, one of the Motorola's breaks RX silence and gives a couple of audible data bursts, like it's trying to decode the P25, but just isn't getting it right. Also I'm not using any P25 encryption stuff.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Ok, have you tried pushing the monitor button on one of the other radios while you TX the Kenwood to see if you hear yourself then?

KevinC

Super Moderator
Well, assuming no programming errors, you may have a bad radio.

Maybe someone familiar with this model will chime in with a known issue.

DEMCERT808

I just finished reprogramming one of the test radios for an RX NAC of "F7E" (a.k.a. CSQ) and still no joy on the test radio RXing my P25 from the TK5310.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Is your talk group (conventional P25 can use talk groups too) the same, or are your radios set for unmute on nac only?
Make sure the receive radios aren't set for selective unmute with a different talk group ID.

W0JJK

Could be the kenwood's radio P25 bit error rate is too high for motorola radio to decode. I have seen this in motorola radios.

Do you have access to a P25 service monitor?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Could be the kenwood's radio P25 bit error rate is too high for motorola radio to decode. I have seen this in motorola radios.

Do you have access to a P25 service monitor?

What he said.

With P25 (or any digital), if the radio is even slightly out of adjustment (freq error, deviation, etc) then it will push the BER through the roof and cause problems like this.

if you rule out programming, the next step is putting it on a service monitor, full alignment, and BER testing.

DEMCERT808

Thanks all for your continued input. I don't have another Kenwood P25 radio available to test with, but if I had to guess the problem I would assume that it would need to go in for a bench check at the radio shop. I am running the default talk group of "1" (in P25 conventional) on this channel. The talk group "1" has also been verified on all my other P25 radios I'm trying to test with. I guess I'll take it in to my local Kenwood shop on Monday to see if they can even tackle this beast. I don't think they've dealt with Kenwood P25 radios in person as there is NO local market for Kenwood P25 gear. Besides my local dealer possibly sending this unit back to Kenwood HQ for service, does anyone have any recommendations for a service shop that's specializes in P25 stuff?

DEMCERT808

Does anyone know how to decode the manufacture date of a serial number from this radio model and also how long is the warranty forth is radio model? I'm going out on a log shot, but maybe by slim chance this thing may still have some factory warranty left.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Does anyone know how to decode the manufacture date of a serial number from this radio model and also how long is the warranty forth is radio model? I'm going out on a log shot, but maybe by slim chance this thing may still have some factory warranty left.

You can call Kenwood Communications in Suwanee, GA and they can confirm whether it is under warranty or not:

Kenwood - Contact Us

LMR main is 678-474-4700

Status
Not open for further replies.