• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK 5710 System use

Status
Not open for further replies.

scfdradio

Hello everyone,

I am trying to understand the use of multiple systems with the KPG-95DGN programming software. I am using Version 2 and 3 radios. Incidentally, this applies to the TK 5210 as well since my department uses both and they can use the same dat files with a few adjustments of settings.

Nevertheless, the options are Conventional and Trunking. We strictly use Conventional, but is there another use for multiple systems? The only things I can come up with are if you need more channels than a "system" can have (250 for Version 2 radios for example), just add another system and draw from multiple systems to build the Zones. This is what I currently have in place.

The other thought is to have "systems" created to organize each large group of channels, and then draw from the various systems to build each Zone. For example: System 1 for local government, System 2 for state, System 3 for NIFC, System 4 for USFS, System 5 for Law and so on. That way it seems it would be easier to make updates to the particular frequencies without having to look all over to find them.

Originally when I inherited the communications responsibilities, the file had been created and added to again and again. Now the various channels are spread all over the place rather than in organized groups, which makes it easy to miss something when programming updates. It kind of reminds me of a computer operating system that has been added to and gotten out of hand, but is so far developed that starting from scratch would be an enormous task. (MS Windows comes to mind)

I am very interested in hearing how people solve this problem and organize their available channels. I am currently looking at entering the data for some 450 channels and am really dreading it. Because Kenwoods can't be cloned on CALFIRE incidents, we need to have all the channels available when responding to State mutual aid incidents in CA.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Steve

sfd119

I'm aware of CALFIRE and their weird repeaters, but isn't this where OST comes into play to cut down on a lot of channels?

scfdradio

Multiple "Systems" vs OST

The CALFIRE situation has noting to do with what I am interested in. CALFIRE has 11 Command channels, and a local dispatch channel for each regional unit (usually made up of one or two counties) that use OSTs depending on your location relative to a particular repeater.

I am more looking to understand the pros and cons of developing multiple systems in the programming software. Having the local, state, and federal frequencies grouped together makes sense to me, regardless of which Zone they will end up in. But, I may be missing something. I'd hate to embark on creating an entirely new .dat file with all those channels if there is no real benefit.

sfd119

I was simply replying to the CALFIRE comment on your post (quoted below) and offering some alternatives to having every CALFIRE repeater programmed in.

Because Kenwoods can't be cloned on CALFIRE incidents, we need to have all the channels available when responding to State mutual aid incidents in CA.

scfdradio

System vs OST

Still not the same thing. There are 32 tones used by CALFIRE to access their repeaters. They are the same tones that one would use for tone-protecting any frequency with CTCSS, regardless of whether or not you're accessing a repeater. Motorola calls them PL, and there are other names for them as well, which escape me at the moment.

I know you are trying to help, and I really appreciate it, but I think we are talking about different things here. The CTCSS tones have to be entered in the software to be usable by the radio as OSTs or hard-encoded for tone-protecting simplex channels. I am talking about organizing the various channels within the software.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.