• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-6110 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
I've been using TK-190s on my business license for some time now with good results for short-range communication in rough terrain, and would like to step up to something with more power for mobile and field use (we're a mine services company and spend a lot of time miles from anywhere with no infrastructure). TK-6110s would look to be a good fit, but the amp draw at 70W is higher than I'd like for operating off a battery. How low can a TK-6110 be adjusted while retaining stability?

Additionally, I would like the option to interface the radio with a headset (ideally via a 3.5mm jack like with an x80 or x180 mobile), but the service manual indicates that the audio output port is intended for a KES-4 and would probably destroy a headset. Is there any reasonable way to do this?

k9wkj

I cant help with the headset
but the 6110 is not that easy to find
and has been out of production for quite awhile
it is probably much easier to find some Motorola Maxtracs
they can be had right cheaply on the bay

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Pin 4 on the rear 15 pin accessory jack is detector output. That's going to be a low level out, so you might need a bit of amplification.

Service manual only shows 70 watts output at <15 amps. No spec's or settings for a lower output power.

Final order date for new TK-6110's was October 1st, 2018. Radio was replaced by the NX-5600. Kenwood will support the TK-6110 as long as they have parts.

You might want to take a look at a used Motorola CDM-750. The 20 pin connector on the rear will give you low level audio outputs also. Those can be set from 40 to 60 watts on low band. 3 different band splits, though. 29.7 - 36MHz, 36 - 42MHz, or 42 - 50MHz.

If you do go with the TK-6110, just make sure you are getting the correct bandsplit. K or K2 model.
K model is 29.7 - 37MHz
K2 model is 35 - 50MHz.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
6110's are $100-150 on ebay for the 35-50mhz. I have one of those radios and love it. very compact and easy to use for California Highway Patrol. It does get VERY loud though so do be careful on a headset. But i second mmckenna about the NX5600 being a good step up, though I'm not sure how easy those are to come by.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
I didnt even think to ask what split he was in
as the low split Maxtracs are fairly rare these days

K2 split, 35 and 43 MHz itinerants. I could use a K split for the 35 MHz frequency, but most of my TK-190 antennas are already tuned for 43 MHz.

6110's are $100-150 on ebay for the 35-50mhz. I have one of those radios and love it. very compact and easy to use for California Highway Patrol. It does get VERY loud though so do be careful on a headset. But i second mmckenna about the NX5600 being a good step up, though I'm not sure how easy those are to come by.

That's my concern on the TK-6110; I believe the KES-4 is a 10W speaker and the output could blow out a headset (and the operator's eardrums, however briefly). If it had a 3.5mm jack like a TK-880, I'd already have several.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
NX5600 being a good step up, though I'm not sure how easy those are to come by.

They aren't.
Only released recently. They are sold as an RF deck only. You'd have to add a control head, and it's only designed for remote use. 110 watts. Big and heavy. Not a good option for this application. Since they've only been out a few weeks/months, there are not going to be on the used market. New ones are expensive. Then you have to add the KPG-D1N software, at a few hundred bucks.
Only reason I pointed out the NX-5600H is because it's what replaced all the Kenwood low band products.

Kenwood TK-6110 or a Motorola CDM-750 would be my suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.