• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

tk 690 and 790 remote heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I'll start with the fact that I'm not a Kenwood guy, so bear with me. So I've had a dual head tk690h sitting in a box forever that someone gave me. It's a high power unit with the main head attached to the deck and a remote head to go along with it (picture attached). I recently got a tk790 low power single remote head radio. The remote head on the 690 is in far better shape and I wanted to know if I can just swap it with the 790. I only ask because I see the buttons are slightly different and wanted to double check compatibility. My second question is why is the main 690 head attached to the deck so different from the remote head with it? On all the Motorola's I've had the main head and secondary head have pretty much the same layout so I didn't know if there was a reason behind this. Thanks in advance for the schooling.

Attachments

• IMG_20200723_195143.jpg
    IMG_20200723_195143.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20200723_195353040.jpg
    IMG_20200723_195353040.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 28

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
TK-X90's have two types of heads. Basic and full function. You can easily swap between the two as long as you change the head type under model in the program software.

You can also swap the same type head but you will have to reprogram from archive or a previous read to make the alpha numerics jive with the channel line up.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There was a KCH-10 basic front panel with 8 character display, 5 programable buttons, and a built in speaker.
The KCH-11 was the full feature front panel with 14 character display, 13 programmable buttons and no internal speaker.

Depended on what the end user wanted. Some wanted more buttons and would just use a larger external speaker. Some quieter applications would do fine with the built in speaker on the basic head.
It was just different options for different uses. You could mix the head type depending on what you wanted, for an ambulance, the different functions on the heads could make sense.

The remote kits were different depending on the setup:
KRK-5 was the single band, single head remote kit.
KRK-6DH is your dual head, single band kit.
KRK-8DBH was the dual band/dual head kit.

sSounds like you have a KRK-6DH….

You should be able to swap heads.

Challenge comes if you were converting from a single band to dual band, then there are some chip resistor moves that would have to happen.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the responses. My programming cable will be here tomorrow so I'm going to try and get everything installed this weekend.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
Kenwood's TK-690/790/890 series was one of the most versatile and bulletproof two way radios ever made. They could be easily converted into just about every imaginable arrangement. And easy to program. Other manufacturers should take a lesson ...

mrweather

There was also the KRK-7DB which allowed two drawers to be controlled by one head. I've had such a setup either TK790/890 or TK690H/790 flavour (the 690H being modified for 6M amateur radio).

These radios are built like tanks and have given me years of trouble-free service.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
You can also swap the same type head but you will have to reprogram from archive or a previous read to make the alpha numerics jive with the channel line up.
That's what I thought. If that's the case, then there is memory in the head...?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
No prob. Yeah I agree the 90 series is one solid radio. Very flexible and easy to program. It was in production for about 25 years which is quite a run and just recently discontinued. However it is does not meet the requirements for Firescope anymore. Any California fire unit that is strike team capable will have to phase out their 790's by 2024. Cal fire and many departments have already begun the replacement. This should stock the used market quite nicely. Keep your eyes peeled.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's what I saw too... Thanks. Solves a previous thread that went the other way.

I think you guys are right on. I was thinking about this today...
If you can have basic head and enhanced head on the same RF deck, and both have different channel text lengths, it makes a lot of sense to have the channels names, at least, stored in the head. Would be interesting to know how Kenwood has the data split up. In other words, I'm guessing the channel name text is in the control head, and likely frequency data in the RF deck?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
One more question since you guys know your stuff. Is there a smaller mic for these things? I ask because this radio is primarily going to be used by a female and the mic is huge. I know some other manufactures make different size mics with the thought of using them with fire gloves on and such. I used to have a 5820 and I feel like I remember it being smaller, but I understand that's a different connector and all. Thanks again for all the help.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
You can remove the larger mic from the mic end of the cord (there's an RJ-45 style connector under the weather boot) and put a smaller mic like the KMC-65 (new) or KMC-35 (older). I suggest the 65 over the 35, the 35 wasn't great.

You also won't have the integrated noise cancelling that the KMC-27/8 has. The only other issue is you may not get the weatherproofing boot to sit right on the new mic due to different profiles on the ledge that retains the boot.

Nothing a new RJ-45 connector and some scissors won't fix though.....

In other words, I'm guessing the channel name text is in the control head, and likely frequency data in the RF deck?

That has been my experience.

mrweather

One more question since you guys know your stuff. Is there a smaller mic for these things? I ask because this radio is primarily going to be used by a female and the mic is huge.
I've been using an MC-59 mic with my 90 Series and it works just fine. Just swapped it for the KMC-28 head (they're both 8-pin modular). The mic cable boot even fits around the base of the MC-59 head!

Status
Not open for further replies.