• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-690H Dual Head Audio Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboss20

Premium Subscriber
Regarding my TK-690H Dual head, the audio to head 2 is fine, but head one is mute. It was removed from a truck 2 months ago and has been in storage since. I have tried swapping heads and same issue occurs on the reassigned head 1. I have read that the audio amplifier (TDA8561Q) is prone to failure, however if that was bad would it not make both heads mute? Both heads are the basic model with internal speakers. Both remote cables are intact, undamaged and unaltered. Both heads had excellent audio before removal. I am at a loss and need of assistance.

jim202

Regarding my TK-690H Dual head, the audio to head 2 is fine, but head one is mute. It was removed from a truck 2 months ago and has been in storage since. I have tried swapping heads and same issue occurs on the reassigned head 1. I have read that the audio amplifier (TDA8561Q) is prone to failure, however if that was bad would it not make both heads mute? Both heads are the basic model with internal speakers. Both remote cables are intact, undamaged and unaltered. Both heads had excellent audio before removal. I am at a loss and need of assistance.

You have me a little confused on the way you worded your statement about moving the heads around. You indicated that you took a head that came out of service and put it into the place of the original head 1. Now the new head doesn't work where head one originally was? Is this the case?

Then if I understand you correctly, you said you took the original head one and put it in place of head position 2. It had no audio at that location also. Is this correct?

My first thought is that head number one does have a problem with it's audio output.

I am not that familiar with the Kenwood heads, so I am sort of flying by the seat of my pants on this one. I was reading something about some jumpers in the Kenwood heads, but I may have the wrong head in mind on this one. The jumper had something to do with the audio going to the speaker. This is not much help for you and someone else can also straighten me out if I am going in the wrong direction.

airboss20

Premium Subscriber
The entire radio was removed from service in the truck. I now have it home and trying to get it to work properly.

When assembled there is no audio to head 1. The audio to head 2 is fine.

In this model you either plug the internal speaker directly to the audio header in each control head. On the flip side, if you want to utilize an external speaker, you disconnect the internal speaker from the audio header and plug in the jumper that routes it to the accessory connector on the rear of the head.

I swapped the positions of head 1 and 2. Head 2 is now plugged into the end of the cable of head 1, and head 1 is plugged into the end of the cable of head 2.

The audio circuits work in both radios as I found when I did the head swap. Therefore the audio problem lies somewhere between the control board inside the radio and the end of the cable where head 1 is supposed to be.

I am not sure where that problem lies. If it is the amplifier, it will be easily remedied as the amps are readily available on mouser.com. If it is not the amp, I am unsure where the problem lies.

I am inclined to believe that the amp is ok because I have audio to head 2, but is it a 2 channel amp?

airboss20

Premium Subscriber
I am in posession of the kch-10 heads. They require no modification unless you wish to use the rear output for external speakers. I have reviewed page 18 of the service manual already. Unfortunately it had no new information for me.

As I stated before both heads work fine when connectd to the head 2 output of kch-4 and neither have audio when connected to head 1 output of the kch-4.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Speaker output from the radio to head one requires the jumper plug in the back of the radio. Is that in place or missing?

Speaker audio for head two comes from the audio amp in the KRK-7DH board and has no jumpers to fiddle with.

Last edited:

airboss20

Premium Subscriber
Both heads are configured identically. When swapped, both have audio on head 2 output. Neither have audio on head 1 output. I have swapped cables as well to no avail.

It has to be a board issue. Is the audio amp providing 1 channel amplified audio to both heads, or is it a 2 channel amp providing separate but identical audio to both heads?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
No.

Two heads, two individual volume controls and two speakers require separate audio amps for both. The X90 radio has a single audio amp. When converting to dual head you add the KRK-6DH (I listed it wrong above) module to the front of the radio. It has it's own audio amp to run head two. Head one speaker is powered by the original amp in the radio chassis.

What I'm asking is if you have your speaker jumper in place on the back of the radio. Without it speaker audio will not be routed to head one. You can refer to the service manual on how this works.

Attachments

• jumper.jpg
    jumper.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 107

airboss20

Premium Subscriber
OK.

I'll take a look at that, but my 690 has a 12 pin accessory port. I'll look up the configuration.

I'll let you know.
Thanks.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Good deal! Older Motorola dash mount stuff had that speaker jumper also that would boggle the uninformed, so what's the difference with the name on the label.

Have fun...

airboss20

Premium Subscriber
I guess you are right, however, I was brought up by Mother Moto. I seem to be able to self resolve most issues I have with them. I think Kenwoods sound better (warmer) and more natural, but I think that most of the config stuff for them is more a mechanical mod than a software switch.

That being said, I prefer Motorola and Kenwood over all of the other companies that are scrounging for their piece of the communications market (iCom, GE, Bendix, Relm, EF Johnson etc..). Parts and information for them is sometimes a bit difficult to come by.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.