• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-7160 DCS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MESDA6

Premium Subscriber
I need to update channels in a couple of volunteer agency TK-7160's. We have Version 1.01 of the Kenwood Software.

Several channels that we need to program have changed from no PL Code to a DCS setting of 156. In this version of the software, there are 2 options marked D156I and D156N. I'm not able to locate any info as to whether or not one of these is the correct setting for the new DCS, or if neither is correct and I need to upgrade the software in order to program the correct DCS code.

All documentation regarding the change simply refers to DCS156, and makes no reference to I or N at the end of the number,

Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

N5XPM

D156N is normal. D156I is inverted.
DCS156 should be programmed as D156N most of the time.
Try programming all the channels with D156N and test one radio on the repeaters.
If it is correct, it will activate the repeater and/or open the squelch on a simplex channel, confirming you have it programmed correctly.

MESDA6

Premium Subscriber
D156N is normal. D156I is inverted.
DCS156 should be programmed as D156N most of the time.
Try programming all the channels with D156N and test one radio on the repeaters.
If it is correct, it will activate the repeater and/or open the squelch on a simplex channel, confirming you have it programmed correctly.

Thanks for the fast reply! It is most likely normal. I will test it with one of the dispatch centers that monitors the channel.

Thanks again for your help.

cabletech

As a rule, unless a system specfily states other wise, are PL/DPL codes are in the 'normal' format.

(D156n)

VERY few systems, if any, use the inverted DPL. I know in Nothern Cal, Oregon, and Western Washing, there is only 1 user (at this time) using the inverted DPL, and that is a private company.

n1das

D156N = D265I
D265N = D156I

D156N and D265N (and D156I and D265I) are inverses of each other. In general any radio that can do DCS can do inverted DCS. If you have a normal code you can look up its inverse in the table of standard DCS codes, and vice versa, i.e., if you have an inverted code you can look up its inverse as a normal code.

More info on DCS/DPL operation:
DPL / DCS Information
This is probably the best technical reference I've been able to find online.

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
D156N = D265I
D265N = D156I

D156N and D265N (and D156I and D265I) are inverses of each other. In general any radio that can do DCS can do inverted DCS. If you have a normal code you can look up its inverse in the table of standard DCS codes, and vice versa, i.e., if you have an inverted code you can look up its inverse as a normal code.

More info on DCS/DPL operation:
DPL / DCS Information
This is probably the best technical reference I've been able to find online.

Exactly. It's all how the receiver extracts the code. Some designs will invert the code. If this is the case, you'll have to hunt for the correct code in the normal table that is the inverse equivalent to make things work. Confusion for sure. Better to keep the same code number but use the inverse option for those radios that need it.

Sometimes the transmitter will invert the code. Putting a Comm-Spec DCS encoder on an old Micor compa comes to mind for some reason.

You won't see an inverse code used much because there is no advantage to it if it's not really needed. It is not a whole set of different codes to use, just the normal table kinda jumbled around.

Most all modern microprocessor controlled radios these days are on the same page and using the normal table for codes always works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.