• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-730 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGuy129

Hey guys, i have a few questions about my mobile. I have a TK-730HG dual remote head VHF (high band) mobile in my jeep. I have 2 of the basic heads. i just had it programmed and the shop that did it for me told me that i cant have channel names on the display only a channel number, is that correct?
When i sent them the channel list i also told them that i only had one external speaker for the front and would need to use the built in speaker in the head i was mounting in the cargo area. Is there something i am missing about turning in the speaker?
Any help would be great
Thanks
Erik

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
A plain jane basic control head will only do 32 channels with just a two digit channel number. If it has the channel expansion option it will do 99 channels with alphanumerics.

You can use either the internal speaker of a basic control head or an external one, but you'll have to open the head up and swap the speaker wires around.

FireGuy129

how would i know of i have that option, if i dont is there a way for it to be added??
if i am able to get a full feature control head will i be able to use it with my current radio??
sorry for all the questions but i am new to the kenwood radios.

FireGuy129

i also just found a chip set upgrade for my radio. is that something my local radio shop can do?? will it also give me the option to add channel names by upgrading to 99 channels or will it be easier to find a full feature control head??

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The best way to confirm is to open the radio and the head and see what size eeprom is installed.

The upgrade will give basic heads 99 channels and alpha-numerics or give an advanced head 160 channels (I believe, shoot 730s are getting a little fuzzy now). Upgrade chips are available on E-bay once in a while.

I don't think you have to get newer firmware (which is also on a chip, you probably have FFB) to do the mod but it will require a service manual to remove or install the proper jumpers. You can ask if your shop can do this.

I like the advanced heads better, but you can get by with a basic head as long as the alpha works.

Also, if you have a dual head you'll have to put a bigger eeprom chip in both heads (as well as the radio) for this to work...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.