• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-760 no TX audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoaster

Not as clever as I thought I was...

Got the lights working in the back panel on the TK-760 but in the process messed up my audio on transmit. I key up the mic, receiving radio receives a signal, I scream into the microphone but nothing comes out on the receiving radio...

By swapping various parts around using other TK-760 radios I have here, I have determined the problem to be in the head. (makes sense as that is what I was working on to restore the lights...)

First question. What is this mystery mini board? With the micro components it isn't something someone would cook up on their work bench.

DSCN4960.jpg

red wire comes of IC 407 (voltage regulator)
Black wire goes to ground
Yelow wire to D 404 DC switch part of active filter amplifier
blue wire to C 488
Trace is cut on board between D404 and C488

Wondering if ripping this thing out would restore my audio on transmit

bit of background...
Bought this kenwood TK-760H radio for $80 on the weekend. LED's were flickering in the back of the display. Tap the radio lights start working etc. touch the LED's with a soldering iron and locate the cold solder joinnts. I also touched Q 405 abd C471...

Last edited:

WX9EMS

The IC appears to be an Op-Amp according to my quick search, to what function I am unsure. When I get home and am sitting in front of my PC, I might be able to help you out further. If a trace was cut, then this is an added part. Are there any numbers or names on the board? What is on the other side? where does it mount? I believe I have a service manual for this radio, but it might not cover this board.

WX9EMS

First things first, is this an 760 or 760G? I can't seem to locate a schematic of the control board. I don't really feel like taking my 860 apart to see what is or isn't there (assuming that part of the boards are similar). I would say that this is an amplifier of sorts, what sorts you ask, your guess is as good as mine. You could try to remove the board and repair the cut in the trace. You had mentioned robbing from other 760's, did you try to swap to a different control board? If it were in front of me, I could figure it out. Anyone else have any ideas?

westcoaster

Thanks for the reply,
Turns out I was particularly ham fisted when handling this board. I found a 10K variable resistor at VR401 that was broken. Replaced the resistor and the radio now works.

Still a bit of a puzzle what the baby board does though.
I have two other TK-760H (not G models) and neither of them have this little board in them. I also have a service manual but this little board is not mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.