• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-780 Programming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

usfsengine

Hello. I have a TK-780H that I would like to program myself. I understand I need the KPG-49D software. Im currently running Windows 7. I also know I need cable KPG-46. The question I have, plus probably many more. Would I want to get the USB or Serial cable? I have heard that the 49D runs off of DOS, so would the USB cable work?. Also does the 49D run on windows 7? I think the latest Kenwood software is v 4.02 thats what my Kenwood dealer was telling me. Does this come with the firmware or is that another software? Thank you for everyones assistance in advance.

svfd17

Not knowing much at all about the radio, I would go with the serial cable. I'm not sure about the firmware either but I have never used a USB cable at all and honestly I don't intend to as it appears they are nothing but trouble. Hope this helps.

Sent from a rotary phone

jim202

Hello. I have a TK-780H that I would like to program myself. I understand I need the KPG-49D software. Im currently running Windows 7. I also know I need cable KPG-46. The question I have, plus probably many more. Would I want to get the USB or Serial cable? I have heard that the 49D runs off of DOS, so would the USB cable work?. Also does the 49D run on windows 7? I think the latest Kenwood software is v 4.02 thats what my Kenwood dealer was telling me. Does this come with the firmware or is that another software? Thank you for everyones assistance in advance.

You have probably answered your own question about the USB cable. DOS does not support any USB devices the last time I checked. The drivers are just not there.

As far as the KPG-46 software goes, can't help you there. Don't have it, so can't advise you if it works on Windows or not.

usfsengine

Not knowing much at all about the radio, I would go with the serial cable. I'm not sure about the firmware either but I have never used a USB cable at all and honestly I don't intend to as it appears they are nothing but trouble. Hope this helps.

Sent from a rotary phone

Do you suppose it would work on Windows 7?

svfd17

Do you suppose it would work on Windows 7?

I really can't say, I've only dealt with the Kenwood tk2140 and 3170. It's worth a shot if you have nothing to lose. Another option is to actually call Kennwood yourself and inquire about that. Sorry I can't help you further sir.

Sent from a rotary phone

usfsengine

I think I found out my answer. I had a pm from another gentleman that the 49D does work for Windows 7. I guess I'll need to purchase this stuff. This will make my fire chief pleased. Were done waiting for the county radio techs to give us an updated program. Some of our channels are still wideband, yet the repeater is narrow.

svfd17

I think I found out my answer. I had a pm from another gentleman that the 49D does work for Windows 7. I guess I'll need to purchase this stuff. This will make my fire chief pleased. Were done waiting for the county radio techs to give us an updated program. Some of our channels are still wideband, yet the repeater is narrow.

Glad to hear! I hope everything works out for you and your dept.:)

Sent from a rotary phone

ffmedjoe

You want the software 49Dv401 it works fine on all windows. I haven't used it on windows 8 yet. I'm not sure what Kenwood charges for CPS anymore and the usb cable is no more than $20 on ebay.

usfsengine

So I got the software and a cable. Now I need a little help with the OST feature. Is anyone an expert with that? I have inputted my 16 standard tones on the OST tab in the 49D program. When I have a repeater and it is tone protected on the TX side, do I select none on the OT/DQT Enc? Any help would much appreciated. Thank You.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The radio will use the decode/encode tone you programmed along with the frequencies in the channel edit screen. When you invoke OST, both the decode/encode will be replaced by whatever pair you select from the list.

For fire service you'll need to put all 16 tones in the ENCODE column and leave the Decode column all as "NONE". The reason to leave decode off is you will need to access different repeater "groups" on different channels and they may have different tones on their transmit and you do not want to have your receiver locked to any one "group". By having decode off, you'll hear any transmission on the channel. The OST will then use encode only to steer you to the correct repeater on that channel.

usfsengine

A little update with my 780. Received the USB cable works great with windows 7. Figured out the OST and DEC tone side of things. Works awesome. Thanks for everyone's help.

BUCKKO

Premium Subscriber
I need to know if you can program ( field program ) has been modded when I bought it want to program the name like ( FIRE---CAB---TRUCK----FIRE etc ) in place of just the freq numbers? Thank you

jim202

I need to know if you can program ( field program ) has been modded when I bought it want to program the name like ( FIRE---CAB---TRUCK----FIRE etc ) in place of just the freq numbers? Thank you

I believe you will need the KPG-49D software to program that radio using Windows. You will also need a programming cable to go between the radio and your computer.

avdrummerboy

The alpha tags? Yes, the KPG-49D will put alpha tags in for you. As to the above, I use windows 7 and a USB cable to program my TK-981 (same family as all of the x80 series radios like the 780 you're using.) There is a DOS version, and yes, DOS doesn't do USB and a GUI version. I prefer the GUI haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.