• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

tk-790 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hacker7452

hope you all can help i got a tk-790h and sometimes when i key it up it will make a beep sound. but still able to transmit. is there any thing i can do to fix that cause when it beeps it makes me think that our repeator is on battery reserve. and im tired of goin up there and checking it any help would be nice

mrweather

I'm not understanding the question.

When you key your radio it beeps? Is it a long tone (for as long as you hold the PTT) or a series of chirps?

The long tone means the channel has been programmed as receive-only. A series of chirps means the radio VCO is out of lock.

hacker7452

well i guess you could call it chirps and it only does 2 of them. and what does out of lock mean this is the only radio that does it

mrweather

"Out of lock" means the electronic component in the radio (the "VCO") that is used to generate frequencies that are used for transmitting and receiving is malfunctioning. That happens when you try to use a frequency that is outside of the usable range of the VCO.

The fact that you're getting only a couple of chirps means you're right at the edge as far as frequency goes but the radio will still transmit.

hacker7452

"Out of lock" means the electronic component in the radio (the "VCO") that is used to generate frequencies that are used for transmitting and receiving is malfunctioning. That happens when you try to use a frequency that is outside of the usable range of the VCO.

The fact that you're getting only a couple of chirps means you're right at the edge as far as frequency goes but the radio will still transmit.
ok then why would it be out of range for the radio the freq is 153.890

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
There may have been a component failure (capacitor, resistor, etc) affecting the tuning of the radio. You may need to have a shop familliar with these radios check for this and re-tune the radio for optimum specs.

hacker7452

well i may have figured it out my squelch was set to 5 and i bumped it up to about 10 so as of right now it is doin fine i think

mrweather

You may also have the transmit inhibit feature activated on that radio. If a signal is being received, pressing the PTT will give you a tone (not a chirp) and the radio won't transmit.

Status
Not open for further replies.