• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK 790 mobile wiring

midstate33

I am trying to get a Kenwood KMC 30 mic to wire
to the DB 25 connector on rear of TK790, have
PTT but no voice anyone who has been successful
with this I would greatly appreciate any help
Tnx W8WAR

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't have my software here, but you should need to set up the Mic Input to use the port. On the newer radios theres a page for this on the KPG that lets you assign the rear mic input for data or voice.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
You need to move R641 to R640 for mic audio.

1658359098410.png

1658359150129.png

MI/DI (MIC Signal Input/Output or Data Audio Input)
This pin has one of the two functions listed in Table 3 by
setting jumper resistors (0 ohm) R640 and R641 on the
control unit (X57-561 B/3) (Refer to page 21).
1) MIC signal input/output
This pin is directly connected to the MIC input pin of the
transceiver, so it has the same function as the MIC input
pin. When the input is 5mV/3 kHz, DEV (600 ohms)
modulation is obtained. The MIC input is output from the
transceiver panel as it is.
2) Data audio input
The signal from this pin passes through the LPF (fc: about
10kHz), is summed with the MIC AMP output, and goes
to the modulator. Therefore, it is not preemphasized.

midstate33

Ok guys really appreciate the answers/help but I have tried the things you suggested, I should have added that by applying signal from function generator and keying mic I have good transmitted audio, I also applied dc voltage to appropriate pin on KMC 30 powering the electret in mic (?) I believe there is a switching problem in the mic circuit preventing audio getting to db25 mic input pin, the KMC 30 works just fine on tk7180, really got me stumped, any help is appreciated, tnx 73’s
W8WAR

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
So you did switch/confirm the internal jumpers? If the radio is set for data you can still pump audio in but at a much higher level than the mic element will ever produce. Input absolutely needs to be set for "MI".

The grounds for PTT and the mic element are separate and you need to connect both. Pin 3 "E" and pin 5 "MIC-E" need to go to the respective pins on the 790 25 pin connector.

midstate33

You need to move R641 to R640 for mic audio.

View attachment 124707

View attachment 124708

MI/DI (MIC Signal Input/Output or Data Audio Input)
This pin has one of the two functions listed in Table 3 by
setting jumper resistors (0 ohm) R640 and R641 on the
control unit (X57-561 B/3) (Refer to page 21).
1) MIC signal input/output
This pin is directly connected to the MIC input pin of the
transceiver, so it has the same function as the MIC input
pin. When the input is 5mV/3 kHz, DEV (600 ohms)
modulation is obtained. The MIC input is output from the
transceiver panel as it is.
2) Data audio input
The signal from this pin passes through the LPF (fc: about
10kHz), is summed with the MIC AMP output, and goes
to the modulator. Therefore, it is not preemphasized.
Done

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
A certain sheriffs office wanted a second mic on the passenger door so they can stand up out of traffic and use the radio. 790's with KMC35. Installed lots. Any Kenwood mic should work.

mxer683

@ramal121 I've scoured the internet and your post here seems to be the closest to what im looking to do. My intended setup is similar to the example you gave of the sheriffs office setup, two mics, one plugged into the basic function remote head, and the other to the db25 connector. In that instance is the jumper still moved from 641 to 640? Or do both 641 and 640 need to be jumped in order for both mics to be operable?

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
@ramal121 I've scoured the internet and your post here seems to be the closest to what im looking to do. My intended setup is similar to the example you gave of the sheriffs office setup, two mics, one plugged into the basic function remote head, and the other to the db25 connector. In that instance is the jumper still moved from 641 to 640? Or do both 641 and 640 need to be jumped in order for both mics to be operable?

Yes you still need to move the jumper, R640 in and R641 out.

You will also want to do a hot mic mod, as both mics will be "hot" when one or the other is keyed.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
You're awesome! Thank you!

I have attached the hot mic mod for the KMC-27 and the KMC-65. For the KMC-35 just open it up and cut the green wire.

Attachments

• KMC-27_hot Mic.zip
    538.4 KB · Views: 16

mxer683

@n7maq-1 and the hot mic is only necessary should both mics be plugged in simultaneously? I haven't fully decided but though I certainly need both mic jacks to be operable I may just leave one of them unplugged at any given time.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
Correct, you only need to do the mod if both mics are hooked up at the same time.

mxer683

@n7maq-1 One last question somewhat off topic as I think this only applies to a kmc27 mic. But in order to have full functionality would I wire up db25 pins 14 and 17? Looks like the mic accepts 8v and pin 14 is 13v?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Well that depends on which KMC-27 you are referring to. The KMC-27 is for the TK-X90 and has the round plug and the KMC-27A has a RJ-45 8 pin plug. Both requires a 12 volt input to operate. Actually the SB+ line goes to a 5 volt regulator for the internal ops so either 12 or 8 volts should work. Both these are noise canceling mics.

Now a KMC-27B has a RJ-45 plug used in all the other popular mobile radios and does not require any voltage input to operate. This mic is not noise canceling. Which are you referring to?

Last edited: