• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tk-790 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
After installing my newly acquired tk-790, I am not able to transmit. I swapped the mic out with one off our fire engine and it transmits but it's like the button is stuck and won't stop transmitting until I turn it off. Does anyone know what my problem may be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Do you have access to a dummy load? Could be high SWR. I've seen radios that lock up with a very high SWR...probably due to RF getting into the microprocessor.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
Do you have access to a dummy load? Could be high SWR. I've seen radios that lock up with a very high SWR...probably due to RF getting into the microprocessor.

I do not. I can get one though. How would I test the SWR and adjust it properly?

Motorola HT1550•XLS | Motorola HT1250 | Motorola CP200XLS | Kenwood TK-790 | Motorola Minitor VI

brushfire21

Feed Provider
IN regards to the first question, does the radio tx light turn on when you push the mike PTT button? If it does, then an SWR analyzer would be handy to have so that you can check the power out of the radio and how much its putting out (lets you know if the radio is working), along with knowing if the antenna is resonant for the frequency band you are using. Do you have a known and good code plug for the radio as well with proper tx/rx frequency's and PL tones programmed?

To check the SWR of the antenna, you need a small inline analyzer that reads the forward and return wattage of the antenna when the radio transmits. There are some small inexpensive units that start at $50 all the way up to hundreds of dollars (or more).

Here are a few options for some inexpensive SWR meters for quick checks and there are other options too. These are not high end quality units but can be useful for quick checks and will get you in the ball park for testing.

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/swr-power-meters-299/dual-band-swr-power-meters-301/

https://www.gigaparts.com/diamond-antenna-sx40c.html

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
I done a little more research and I've found out that there was a short in the connector that attaches to the radio. I have replaced the connector and the issue has been solved. The radio will not get out far at all though and I can't hit a tower that is about 7 miles away.

Motorola HT1550•XLS | Motorola HT1250 | Motorola CP200XLS | Kenwood TK-790 | Motorola Minitor VI

toastycookies

I done a little more research and I've found out that there was a short in the connector that attaches to the radio. I have replaced the connector and the issue has been solved. The radio will not get out far at all though and I can't hit a tower that is about 7 miles away.

Sounds like you may have toasted the finals.

Have you placed it on a watt meter?

brushfire21

Feed Provider
Next thing is to have someone check the radio out, get a SWR/watt meter to determine if the radio is putting out any power or find another radio. My suggestion is to invest in a SWR/watt meter, trouble shoot the current radio and this can also be used to make sure the antenna is adjusted properly and minimizing future radio issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.